Composting cardboard and paper products

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Most newsprint, no colored paper due to the dyes used, only black. No shiney paper, like magazine pages, which generally have color anyway. Pretty much all cardboard with plain black ink. Most paper bags, the white paper plates are compostable too as long as there is no coating like wax or color. Too bad most everything is full of colored inks :/

S

sunsaver

I heard that most of the colored dyes are vegetable dyes these days, so the old rule about not composting colored paper might need to be revisited. I would still avoid all glossy paper and wax paper.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I heard that most of the colored dyes are vegetable dyes these days, so the old rule about not composting colored paper might need to be revisited. I would still avoid all glossy paper and wax paper.
Cool! I didn't know that! That'd sure make it easier to compost paper products, I had just always heard not to use those, and so I haven't :hu Never heard otherwise. Now I gotta look it up :p

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I knew about the magazines and anything shiny. We eat crackers and cereal from the health food store. I'm assuming those boxes are OK?