Composting with maggots

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought my compost was a bust when the bin filled with water after the last rain. I checked on it and it was wreathing with maggots! :sick It was REALLY nasty! So I decided to look them up because I knew they were not house fly maggots and this is what I found.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/26/HOEIV3JNR.DTL&feed=rss.homeandgarden

along with several other articles saying the same thing. These nasty critters are actually sold and make great chicken food and compost way faster then earthworms and will compost just about anything edible. Well I added some rabbit poop to the nasty maggot soup to dry it some and I guess I will see if they work as fast as they say tomorrow.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Facsinating! As soon as I get over my initial heebee jeebies I think we might have to try this. We certainly have enough animal waste to keep the little buggars fed. Thanks for sharing this!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't specify. It is soldier fly maggots-you know the really big one's that DON'T carry disease, as opposed to house fly maggots that do.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:sick Sorry maggots of any sort bring out that type of reaction from me.

It would not stop me from having them in my compost if my chickens liked them though. (I have been know to grow worms in the living room to deal out to my breakfast makers!)

Thanks for sharing!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have heard about this too. I don't think I have the stomach for it though. :lol:

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
:sick Sorry maggots of any sort bring out that type of reaction from me.

It would not stop me from having them in my compost if my chickens liked them though. (I have been know to grow worms in the living room to deal out to my breakfast makers!)

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Big Brown Horse! I wasn't going to come out of the closet and admit to composting with worms in an aquarium in one of our spare bedrooms but since you brought it up....:frow

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was so glad to read that. I have those maggots in my compost and I knew for sure there was something I was doing wrong. But now I will nurture them and love them. I was always worried about diseases that they might carry, but now I'll let my chickens have at them when I'm turing the compost. Hooray maggots!! :love :D

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought the same thing-that I had done something terribly wrong and had chills when I saw the nasty things. I looked them up and was going to try to figure out the best way to dispose of them until I started reading about them. I still don't like them, but I will let them stay since now I know they won't make us sick and do have uses. (they are definately covered and hidden from view though!)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
do ya'll put rice in your compost pile? I'm just starting one and have the idea of "if it came from the earth, it can go back"

I am on the right track, right.... hopefully. :)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put cooked rice in mine. I imagine raw would be just fine too.