Computer questions - hope it is ok to ask here

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Question 1: When you click on a "Contact Us" link on a web page, sometimes the page will automatically try to access your email account. When this happens, it comes up with an email address from a former internet provider. How do you stop this from happening? Can it be set up so the email address that comes up is a gmail or yahoo email account? If not, I just want to stop having my old internet provider email come up.

Question 2: When I made my gmail in box my home page, for some reason, when I click on the Firefox (to log in to the internet), I have my gmail page come up along with at least 4 other tabs. How do I keep those tabs from popping up every time I log into the internet? They bring up pages that I was looking at previously and I don't know why.

Thanks

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
1. That is in "options". Are you using Internet Exploder or Firefox? Basically, you go to your saved form information and remove it :)

2. that is also in options, first page, how this opens. :) You either have it set to multiple tabs or to open on everything you last had open.
I figured out #2. Somehow my homepage got set up so that all the tabs that I had open became my home page.

As for #1, I currently use firefox. In the past I used Netscape Navigator I think???? and Mozilla Thunderbird to read emails from my ISP. Normally when I switched ISPs, I would change the information in Thunderbird to my current provider. Hughesnet is just crappy and I could never figure out how to do it with Hughesnet. Hughesnet just keeps getting crappier and I was no longer able to view my emails on my Hughesnet homepage. I couldn't get any help at all. I think it was something they messed up, because my name suddenly was misspelled on my homepage. I tried again setting up Thunderbird to read my hughesnet emails but I couldn't. Thunderbird asked for my hughesnet password, and apparently they did something to that because my password no longer worked. In the old days I just had one password for everything that needed a password, but eventually the pages requesting passwords required more complex passwords, so I store all my passwords in an excel spreadsheet and just go back to the spreadsheet if I don't have the password saved for the webpage. So I gave up and got a gmail address as my main email address. Do I have to uninstall Thunderbird?

Thanks

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you use a web-based email address like gmail (or hotmail or yahoo) the contact form won't automatically open it.

I'd uninstall Thunderbird if you are no longer using it, it's probably an old version at this point anyway.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
If you use a web-based email address like gmail (or hotmail or yahoo) the contact form won't automatically open it.

I'd uninstall Thunderbird if you are no longer using it, it's probably an old version at this point anyway.
Thanks.

pepper

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Rhettsgreygal said:
Question 1: When you click on a "Contact Us" link on a web page, sometimes the page will automatically try to access your email account. When this happens, it comes up with an email address from a former internet provider. How do you stop this from happening? Can it be set up so the email address that comes up is a gmail or yahoo email account? If not, I just want to stop having my old internet provider email come up.

Thanks
In Firefox (7.0.1), click tools, options. Click Applications and scroll down the app list to mailto .
If you change the drop-down box to the right of mailto to gmail, when you click contact us it will open the gmail website.