Confession...

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Hinotori said:
If you really don't want to raise animals for meat then don't.

Just grow veggies and fruit and trade for meat if you want.
Ah, but I do... it's got to save some $$$, right? and you get healthier meat.
It's convincing the family that is the hard part, and figuring out the best way to avoid the bloodiest aspects of it.
We had some of the same issues at first. I cried for a solid hour right after emptying my stomach when we did our first birds and I didn't even watch. That was just choosing out which roos had to go. I passed out the 2nd time because i tried to help. So I understand. Honestly you get used to it. The kids get used to it. My very very tenderhearted son will pick out roo's to dispatch without even a blink now. He understand roos have a limited purpose and when you have too many they gotta go. We are about to do meaties I am ordering all males. The kids are trained that we keep the girls and boys serve their purpose. Chicks don't get names until they have a gender. If they want to name a roo it has to be a food name. He even helped pick out a duck to butcher for a family in need we know. He went out and said " that one has bad legs and a huge breast, that one should go. They can eat for a few days off that one." This is a boy who will cry over worms drowning on cement.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
heatherlynnky said:
sleuth said:
Hinotori said:
If you really don't want to raise animals for meat then don't.

Just grow veggies and fruit and trade for meat if you want.
Ah, but I do... it's got to save some $$$, right? and you get healthier meat.
It's convincing the family that is the hard part, and figuring out the best way to avoid the bloodiest aspects of it.
We had some of the same issues at first. I cried for a solid hour right after emptying my stomach when we did our first birds and I didn't even watch. That was just choosing out which roos had to go. I passed out the 2nd time because i tried to help. So I understand. Honestly you get used to it. The kids get used to it. My very very tenderhearted son will pick out roo's to dispatch without even a blink now. He understand roos have a limited purpose and when you have too many they gotta go. We are about to do meaties I am ordering all males. The kids are trained that we keep the girls and boys serve their purpose. Chicks don't get names until they have a gender. If they want to name a roo it has to be a food name. He even helped pick out a duck to butcher for a family in need we know. He went out and said " that one has bad legs and a huge breast, that one should go. They can eat for a few days off that one." This is a boy who will cry over worms drowning on cement.
Hugs sweetie! :hugs it is hard.. I can shoot rabbits that are wild and I can butcher out deer but my chickens.. not yet.. I'll clean them if someone else does the deed but so far I can't. but I grew up with family that had big farms and we learned early not to name the animals. Babe the ox (black angus beef steer) was very hard to swallow.. :hit
Now if it was the only food we were going to have that week I'm sure it would be totally different. I'd just do it and probably cry the whole time.. :hide

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was a kid, between the neighbours and an uncle that butchered chickens, I learned to toughen up and even helped with the process since I was 6 . However when it was my own birds, it was a little rough at first. I knew these birds from chicks after all. A few I was happy to dispatch, like the mean roos! But, there were a couple of fellows that were a bit deformed. A crooked beak on one and crooked toes on another. Being one that goes for the underdog I wanted to keep them, but I knew that they would not be best choices for the good of the flock. Some were very pretty, but of no other value. I finally had the husband of my son's friend come and do the deed for his pick of 3 that had to go. I will admit, I did give a last minute pardon to 2 of them.... sometimes you just get a 'feeling' that they were meant for something better. One is now living on a VERY nice farm and is the proud daddy of his first 8 chicks. The people I gave him to just love him and say he's even good with the kids! The other I still have. Maybe he's meant to take his daddy's place, we'll see. Anyway, yes, it can be hard. But yes, you and your kids can get over it. It's something people have had to deal with since man started domesticating animals. ALL LIFE FEEDS OFF OF DEATH. Even plants. BTW.... I know this will rub some people the wrong way but.... I am Pagan. Before I take a life for food I thank and bless it. I served it's purpose in the circle of life, I feel it should have that respect.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cindylady2, you don't rub me the wrong way. I am Christian, I don't care if you are Pagan or not. I value YOU. I also have respect for the life that gives up it's life, that I might live. I pray and give thanks for that life when I take it. So we are not that different, are we?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Confession...

I don't want to raise chickens or rabbits for meat for 3 reasons:
1. The kids want to name all the animals and it will be hard to explain why Lucy went missing. And Bobbie. And Gertrude. And Matilda. And...
2. I don't care much for butchering and I can't imagine it would be cost-effective to pay someone else to do it.
3. I don't like to eat meat on the bone and it's hard to raise a boneless chicken. If you're going to suggest butchering my own chicken and making it boneless, see #2.
#1 made me laugh out loud. My son was 4 when I was raising rabbits. He would ask for a specific rabbit to eat for supper by name. :love:

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
Cindylady2, you don't rub me the wrong way. I am Christian, I don't care if you are Pagan or not. I value YOU. I also have respect for the life that gives up it's life, that I might live. I pray and give thanks for that life when I take it. So we are not that different, are we?
Thanks Baymule! Often when I'm on "Christian dominated" forums I just keep my mouth shut about it. We all believe what we do for our own reasons, I just felt it was important to mention the respect and blessing thing.