Confession...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My kid runs away when I tell her it's slaughter day. She doesn't mind eating the birds, just doesn't want to partake of the slaughter. The meat birds she was ready to see gone. We raised 10 CornishX last year, she never named them, and by the end of 8 weeks she hated those birds :lol: The last week she kept asking when they were going to "get evicted." Keep in mind, it's aeenager i'm talking about, but she is about as soft hearted with animals as my 8 year old niece. Straight up animal lover....but CornishX's just bring out the worst in all of us before it's over ;) So, there's an option for you.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Confession...

I don't want to raise chickens or rabbits for meat for 3 reasons:
1. The kids want to name all the animals and it will be hard to explain why Lucy went missing. And Bobbie. And Gertrude. And Matilda. And...
2. I don't care much for butchering and I can't imagine it would be cost-effective to pay someone else to do it.
3. I don't like to eat meat on the bone and it's hard to raise a boneless chicken. If you're going to suggest butchering my own chicken and making it boneless, see #2.
OK, that made me laugh. I wanted to post a link, but was having problems. It was for a Gary Larson cartoon-boneless chicken ranch.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SCAN0066.jpg

There. I got it for you.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OMG LOL!

in terms of meat...if the processing/fees are an issue figure out what meats you like most and outsource...
eat alot of beef talk to the farmer down the road about buying half his cow...they drop it off at the butcher you pay the agreed upon price to him for the cow and the greed upon price to the butcher and pick it up done (the price is usually comparitive to grocery stores when doing it "large scale" liek that and you know wht your getting)
for chickens, having aprcessor do 4 or 5 her and 8 there is NOT cost effective..so find a local butcher and find out where his bulk rates start...it may be that the price becomes worth it at 25 birds, it may be youd have to raise 100 birds at once to make it worth it...but its worth finding out then raise em all yourself and do a bulk processing that way...again depending on how many at once and your local prices it usually works out a little more than the grocery store but not by much And their quality doesnt even compare...

for the things you cant raise in big enough numbers (say it only becomes cost effective if you raise 500 chickens at a time) find locl folks to barter with...
there raising chickens your good with cars...ill to your oil changes in exchange for this many chickens, or this many dozen eggs....
hubby good at building stuff...barter building with the pig farmer the next county over for half a hog ect...

honestly, i realy dont think raising your own meat (and heck host of the time veggies) is realy going to save you much money especially in the beginning...BUT your comparing quality...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
sleuth said:
FarmerJamie said:
Hi, don't know where you live in Ohio, but I know several processors in central and eastern who will do chicken for $2-4 per bird, depending on how much you want them to do for you.

My meat birds cost me $10-12 total each. Cost effective? Don't compare against store-bought factory chicken. There is a company nearby that is selling "farm-raised" chicken for about $40 per bird when you price it out by pound. Same cornish-x's, same processor, more or less the same feed (I asked them). $10 versus $40 seems cost-effective to me.

With regards to #1, every kid is different, even mine had mixed reactions, by the third batch, all was well.

you can do this.
Probably more cost effective if you can find birds that are good for both meat and eggs, right?
When looking for a "processor" what would I look up in the directory? Butchers, Meat processors?
The bird selection really depends on your circumstance. I have full-time employment and signification volunteer work outside the home. My situation lends itself to quick-in/quick-out with batches of Cornish-X's of 30-50 birds each. 8-10 weeks from chicks to a freezer full of succulent meat. Some folks are "on the farm" 24x7 and prefer the long and slow of dual-purpose birds, butchering some every few months or as needed. I'm treading lightly here, because everyone has their own opinion. Only you can decide what's right for your situation.

I have contact info for one processor near Ashland, Ohio, and another near New Philadelphia. If you'd like, I can PM them to you.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Confession...

I don't want to raise chickens or rabbits for meat for 3 reasons:
1. The kids want to name all the animals and it will be hard to explain why Lucy went missing. And Bobbie. And Gertrude. And Matilda. And...
2. I don't care much for butchering and I can't imagine it would be cost-effective to pay someone else to do it.
3. I don't like to eat meat on the bone and it's hard to raise a boneless chicken. If you're going to suggest butchering my own chicken and making it boneless, see #2.
I don't butcher any of my rabbits or chickens but I would if necessary. I used to help my dad as a teen and I don't have a problem with it. I do consider mine as pets but their value to me is more than meat. I raise rabbits, lion heads at the moment and use all of their manure in my garden, plus when I get a litter raised I sell them for $15 to $20 each and that adds to income. I got my chickens for bug control first and the eggs were a bonus. Now I have some customers to take the excess eggs or I can trade them at the farmers market for something I need. I also use all of their manure in the garden. I keep bantams as well and let some of the hens hatch chicks in the spring and sell their offspring so in my case I figure they earn their keep. Have I kept track of the profit and loss from my backyard zoo? No but the enjoyment I get from them is priceless. I'm also thinking I will sell some of the bantam feathers for jewelry making or try it myself. I have the Millie Fleur's and their feathers are so pretty they could make nice earrings.

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Do you have a county fair? Look for the auction dates and buy from the 4H kids. You can get it there, they'll give you the live weight so you know what your paying as you bid on the per lbs price. Once you secure a winning bid, then you go tell them if you want it live or if you want it processed. Most auctions at the fair I've attended will tell you who the processor is, and they charge ____ fee. You can ask ahead of time too if your not sure. You pay, leave a name/number and they call and you pick it up when its ready. Most work you do is writing the check. Its literally that easy.

Around here small animal auctions are on Friday and large stock on Saturday. Your buying quality animals and the money goes right to the kids who raised them. Often times they kids will post a sign mentioning who last years buyers were and thank them or I know my wife's employer used to get thank you cards in the mail from the kids who raised the animals the business bought. Fill the freezer in the summer and your good till next year.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's so totally your own decision! We currently have chickens for eggs, but if we were allowed, we'd also raise some meaties. We are also starting with rabbits, but that's just us. Personally, I think we're both right...what works for us isn't necessarily right for others and vice versa.

I just created a FB group as a collective for our area that would be perfect for a situation such as this. I firmly believe that we can all do more if we work together than any of us can alone. My idea is to share things...for instance, if someone would like to have chickens for the freezer but doesn't have the space, zoning or even inclination, they can get together with someone who does, and both can share the end product...a total win/win situation. In your instance...perhaps you have the space and were allowed to, but don't want to for whatever reason...we'd be willing to purchase them, provide the feed and do the butchering. When it was all over, we'd both have chickens for our freezer. Equipment is another thing that's share-able...maybe someone just wants to make a batch or two of jam each season. Why buy all the equipment when I can lend them mine in return for a jar or two? I just see so much possibilty for things to be accomplished and for all of us to get what we want and need just by working together.

Just mho