Confession...

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Confession...

I don't want to raise chickens or rabbits for meat for 3 reasons:
1. The kids want to name all the animals and it will be hard to explain why Lucy went missing. And Bobbie. And Gertrude. And Matilda. And...
2. I don't care much for butchering and I can't imagine it would be cost-effective to pay someone else to do it.
3. I don't like to eat meat on the bone and it's hard to raise a boneless chicken. If you're going to suggest butchering my own chicken and making it boneless, see #2.
I don't butcher any of my rabbits or chickens but I would if necessary. I used to help my dad as a teen and I don't have a problem with it. I do consider mine as pets but their value to me is more than meat. I raise rabbits, lion heads at the moment and use all of their manure in my garden, plus when I get a litter raised I sell them for $15 to $20 each and that adds to income. I got my chickens for bug control first and the eggs were a bonus. Now I have some customers to take the excess eggs or I can trade them at the farmers market for something I need. I also use all of their manure in the garden. I keep bantams as well and let some of the hens hatch chicks in the spring and sell their offspring so in my case I figure they earn their keep. Have I kept track of the profit and loss from my backyard zoo? No but the enjoyment I get from them is priceless. I'm also thinking I will sell some of the bantam feathers for jewelry making or try it myself. I have the Millie Fleur's and their feathers are so pretty they could make nice earrings.

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Do you have a county fair? Look for the auction dates and buy from the 4H kids. You can get it there, they'll give you the live weight so you know what your paying as you bid on the per lbs price. Once you secure a winning bid, then you go tell them if you want it live or if you want it processed. Most auctions at the fair I've attended will tell you who the processor is, and they charge ____ fee. You can ask ahead of time too if your not sure. You pay, leave a name/number and they call and you pick it up when its ready. Most work you do is writing the check. Its literally that easy.

Around here small animal auctions are on Friday and large stock on Saturday. Your buying quality animals and the money goes right to the kids who raised them. Often times they kids will post a sign mentioning who last years buyers were and thank them or I know my wife's employer used to get thank you cards in the mail from the kids who raised the animals the business bought. Fill the freezer in the summer and your good till next year.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's so totally your own decision! We currently have chickens for eggs, but if we were allowed, we'd also raise some meaties. We are also starting with rabbits, but that's just us. Personally, I think we're both right...what works for us isn't necessarily right for others and vice versa.

I just created a FB group as a collective for our area that would be perfect for a situation such as this. I firmly believe that we can all do more if we work together than any of us can alone. My idea is to share things...for instance, if someone would like to have chickens for the freezer but doesn't have the space, zoning or even inclination, they can get together with someone who does, and both can share the end product...a total win/win situation. In your instance...perhaps you have the space and were allowed to, but don't want to for whatever reason...we'd be willing to purchase them, provide the feed and do the butchering. When it was all over, we'd both have chickens for our freezer. Equipment is another thing that's share-able...maybe someone just wants to make a batch or two of jam each season. Why buy all the equipment when I can lend them mine in return for a jar or two? I just see so much possibilty for things to be accomplished and for all of us to get what we want and need just by working together.

Just mho

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Hinotori said:
If you really don't want to raise animals for meat then don't.

Just grow veggies and fruit and trade for meat if you want.
Ah, but I do... it's got to save some $$$, right? and you get healthier meat.
It's convincing the family that is the hard part, and figuring out the best way to avoid the bloodiest aspects of it.
We had some of the same issues at first. I cried for a solid hour right after emptying my stomach when we did our first birds and I didn't even watch. That was just choosing out which roos had to go. I passed out the 2nd time because i tried to help. So I understand. Honestly you get used to it. The kids get used to it. My very very tenderhearted son will pick out roo's to dispatch without even a blink now. He understand roos have a limited purpose and when you have too many they gotta go. We are about to do meaties I am ordering all males. The kids are trained that we keep the girls and boys serve their purpose. Chicks don't get names until they have a gender. If they want to name a roo it has to be a food name. He even helped pick out a duck to butcher for a family in need we know. He went out and said " that one has bad legs and a huge breast, that one should go. They can eat for a few days off that one." This is a boy who will cry over worms drowning on cement.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Confession...

I don't want to raise chickens or rabbits for meat for 3 reasons:
1. The kids want to name all the animals and it will be hard to explain why Lucy went missing. And Bobbie. And Gertrude. And Matilda. And...
2. I don't care much for butchering and I can't imagine it would be cost-effective to pay someone else to do it.
3. I don't like to eat meat on the bone and it's hard to raise a boneless chicken. If you're going to suggest butchering my own chicken and making it boneless, see #2.
#1 made me laugh out loud. My son was 4 when I was raising rabbits. He would ask for a specific rabbit to eat for supper by name. :love:

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
Cindylady2, you don't rub me the wrong way. I am Christian, I don't care if you are Pagan or not. I value YOU. I also have respect for the life that gives up it's life, that I might live. I pray and give thanks for that life when I take it. So we are not that different, are we?
Thanks Baymule! Often when I'm on "Christian dominated" forums I just keep my mouth shut about it. We all believe what we do for our own reasons, I just felt it was important to mention the respect and blessing thing.