Congestion

chcknrs

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just thought I'd let you all know what I use. It's called Umcka and it works better than any presription or OTC med I've ever tried. It works for nasal, sinus and lung congestion. Take according to directions on bottle as soon as you get the first signs. Works fairly quickly. Was used for TB in the 1920's, and is now being researched in Europe for bronchitis, with significant success.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Where would you get it? I have heard oil of oregano is good for sinuses. I have sinus problems, but not bad enough for me to get the surgery I just deal with it.

chcknrs

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You can find it at most health food stores. I get the Umcka cold and flu, cuz it seems to work better overall, but it's more spendy. I have allergies like crazy and the Umcka works great!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know the whole ear, nose and throat are connected thing....I have post-nasal drip and use a Sinu-Cleanse. Its based on the neti=pot theory, but you squeeze instead of pour. The first time Dh and I used it, we were amazed how much 'yuck' came out of out heads!!
Sorry is this grosses anyone out but I thought it might help :)

http://www.sinucleanse.com/

We bought ours in Walgreens $12.99

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bet if you could get ahold of some, you could squirt some breast milk up your nose for congestion! (sorry.. still gigglin' from the other post)

chcknrs

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Tutter said:
What's in, Umcka? :)
It's made from a certain type of geranium. The cold and flu formula also has some other herbs as well. I am out of it right now, and can't remember what the other stuff is, but I have family who live all over Washington and some in Cali, and all of them swear by it.

Dandelion007

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
krjwaj said:
You know the whole ear, nose and throat are connected thing....I have post-nasal drip and use a Sinu-Cleanse. Its based on the neti=pot theory, but you squeeze instead of pour. The first time Dh and I used it, we were amazed how much 'yuck' came out of out heads!!
Sorry is this grosses anyone out but I thought it might help :)

http://www.sinucleanse.com/

We bought ours in Walgreens $12.99
I use a "recycled" water bottle with a pull top. Great results for no extra money. Look for one with a comfortable tip.

Just be sure to mark it!

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have the mother of all head colds going on right now - my sinus's are completely closed - I cannot breathe - I feel it in my ears. I cannot bring myself to take another cold pill -
So... I came here, because ya'll can fix about anything with duct tape, bacon, and black bean chocolate cake. Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit about the duct tape. I liked the idea I found here about the neti pot and flushing the sinuses to clean out the junk but I didn't want to dish out any cash on anything I could make at home so I found a recipe to make my own saline solution - I used 8 oz. of distilled water and 1/2 tsp. salt. I warmed the water in the microwave - I'm sorry - I know - nukeing is baaaaaaad, but I was in a hurry - did I mention I cannot breathe? So anyway, since I am too cheap to invest in a neti pot or one of those sinu-cleanse squeeze bottles or even a bottle of water with a pull up top, I found a new dosing syringe in my critters medicine cabinet & I used that to flush my saline solution through my, well, you know. It works, kind of, but my head cloggs right back up again after 5 or 10 minutes. Still, it's 5 or 10 minutes during which I can breathe through my nose.

My question... if you made it this far through my very wordy post, is... what else could I be doing to get some much needed relief?