Congestion

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sorry you're feeling bad. do you have a humidifier? a hot cup of tea and breathe in the vapours? can't think of any thing else rightnow.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When my sinuses are all inflamed I boil some water with thyme in it & inhale the steam. Don't know if this would unclog you, but you might could try it during those 5 minutes that you can breathe, and it would make that last longer. :hugs

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I love horseradish sauce and it is one of the best decongestants I've ever found.
Curries are good for it too.
Careful about milk products though. They tend to make more congestion.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
While the bacon is frying, whip up a chocolate black bean cake.

Then steam your sinuses with a bowl of boiling water, holding a towel over the bowl to trap the steam. Hold the towel over your nose and mouth to tent the steam and to keep it away from your eyes. Be careful not to burn yourself. (I'm trying to be clear for those who never steamed their sinuses before.) Add a glug of apple cider vinegar to the water. Breath it in through your nose as long as there is steam coming from the bowl. You will be able to taste the vinegar.

When the steam dies down, pour some more water from the kettle (which you kept on the heat for just this purpose) and get some more steam going. Then go blow your nose and neti-pot or use the bottle as described earlier.

To kick it up a notch, also add a couple of drops each of essential oils....lavendar and any of the "Italian spices" like thyme, as mentioned, or I really like rosemary for this. You will be attracted to what you need, but you may not have it on hand. But being ss, you always have raw ACV on hand, as wel as bacon and the ingredients for chocolate black bean cake.

Now go have supper. It's ready.