considering sheep

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have always wanted to have a few sheep, mostly because I just like them. I talked to someone at a party one time whose kids used to raise sheep for 4H, and he just complained about what a pain they were. He said they were really dumb, and ended up getting themselves into all sorts of trouble.

So I'm wondering, are they really that bad? And what would be the minimum number I should have. I like the thought of shearing them for their wool, maybe to sell. Is that worth it?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I honestly don't know where sheep get the "dumb" stamp. I have had sheep for a year now and I find them to be pretty darn smart...and relatively low maintenance. They are calm and trouble free IMO. (Plus they just look so nice out there in the green grass.)

Not sure how profitable shearing them and selling their fleece would be, but in my case they have kept me from mowing my acre back yard for almost a full year now. Their offspring will be good eating and I plan on milking them in the future. I am also going to be using their fleece in some way, either for myself or to sell.

Unless they are lactating, they really can survive on grass as mine have for the last year.

I started a thread on them, I'll look it up for you.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I started with one. After about two weeks, she was fine as long as she could see the horses in the other paddock.

Then I got two and it was perfect. (I would recommend two or more.)

They each went through a two week "calming down" period, but after that everything was fine. During that two weeks, they didn't eat/drink much and were afraid of everything. I started with older well established sheep that were not used to too much change.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it better to start with older sheep? Or could I get a couple of older lambs? They are so stinkin' cute!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Frankly if I had the knowledge and the money back then I would have started with young lambs. My older (virtually free) sheep never were handled much by humans and that can sometimes pose a problem. Especially when it comes time to de-worm, shear and vaccinate them etc.

I now have a young lamb (bottle baby) that I am training to have good manners and to also be well handled. He is so sweet and loves to be scratched etc. He also walks very well now in a halter with a lead roap.

If you were going to milk a sheep for the first time, I hear it may be easier for you to learn on a seasoned milker. I'm not, just because there aren't any around that are available.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Kate....I too live in SE, IN and I have a Shetland Ram Lamb coming up for sale SOON! He was born 29 March, and is already eating grains and grass....however he is still getting milk from momma. I would love to find him a good home...otherwise, I will castrate and butcher later this summer. I have both the parents here, and thier wool is outstanding! Let me know if you are interested...and I might be able to find you a local little ewe to go with him. I have friends that raise Shetlands...and I am almost sure she would have a little Ewe for sale. Shetlands are my favorite breed. Smallish, great mothers, easy to care for, and smart! All my sheep are very personable. They run to me for scratches like a puppy. Anyways...let me know...if you are interested.
99_nellyalbertlauraoutside.jpg

Here is a recent pic of the lambs, with momma. :D
ETA: Albert, the little ram is the one on the right. He really is a sweetheart!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, he is so cute!! Unfortunately, it will probably be about a year before I can start on sheep. We're in the process of buying our 'dream farm,' but it's not going to be livable for a little while yet. Thanks, tho!