Controlling Thistle

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We were not successful training sheep to eat thistle. Unlike the situation in the video, our pasture is to large and too good for the sheep to eat thistles. We are considering mob grazing the worst thistle pasture, but IDK if that will be enough.

More digging. 😝

i think it is so important when dealing with an infestation to learn about the life cycle of the particular plant so that you can apply various control measures when they are most effective.

just keeping up with cutting them back before they can set seeds.

also when using various machines to make sure they are cleaned out well before using them in some other area that isn't infected yet.

digging to me has usually taken one or two times to get all the deeper roots out and to exhaust any bits that you've missed the first time around. then keeping an eye on the area to make sure any residual seeds don't have a chance to get the deep roots established again. stirrup hoe, gets used a lot to keep areas clear once they've been finished and then reseeding with whatever cover crops i want in that area again.

consistency of efforts, making it a part of the routine and having time set aside for the tasks involved.

when you have clay digging can be quite the challenge but i find it a good time to take stock of the worm population and general soil conditions and seeing how my efforts to improve the soil have been working out.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
while i was thinking last night i realised that i didn't mention my most favorite method of dealing with thistles that doesn't involve digging or sprays or burning - just chop it down and smother it with a few layers of overlapping cardboard, newspapers and/or craft paper or cardstock. as long as they don't let any light through they will work for a while. if you need to redo them again you can do that, they're normally not that expensive to source (or free).

and for those of you who feed animals those huge bails of hay, you could put down cardboard over the thistles and then top it with a bale of hay. the animals will trample everything around that bale and the cardboard will keep the thistle from coming up through the hay.

repeat as often as needed or move to the next area as needed.