Controlling Thistle

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There does seem to be a lot that is good about thistle. I'm wondering if ALL thistles are edible like the Canada thistle? It sort of sounded like it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you @Beekissed !!! DS12 pulled a wheelbarrow full of thistle. DH chopped them with a weedwhacker in a barrel. Fed to ewes with cracked corn on top. First feed last night. I am hopeful!

interesting! how did it work out? :)

we have it around here. i dig it up and get out as much of the roots as possible and eventually that does take care of it in that spot until new seeds are brought in.

sow-thistle is harder to get rid of, but we've kept at it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We were not successful training sheep to eat thistle. Unlike the situation in the video, our pasture is to large and too good for the sheep to eat thistles. We are considering mob grazing the worst thistle pasture, but IDK if that will be enough.

More digging. 😝

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You pick tumbleweed when it's small and green before the spikes harden. Then you can saute it or treat it like asparagus.

It's ok. Nothing I was going to raise or get cravings for. It was considered an emergency food for the poor when my grandparents were young.

It's one of the plants we covered in Biology 2 in my highschool since we had so much of the stuff. I decided I'd collect and try everything we covered that I could pick on the school property. The middle/high school owns about 80 acres of semi-arid desert and riparian area by the river.