Convenience items

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
interestingly I was thinking about this subject this week myself. Recovering from bronchitis and not feeling up to par, I keep looking in the cupboard for food that is easy to fix, specifically canned food that I could just open and eat, or heat and eat. Yes I can can my own, but since I only just got my pressure canner, I don't have any homemade precanned ready to eat food (except for the stuff that I canned in my hot water bath canner).
I think toilet paper is at the top of my list, even though I am using rags some of the time, paper towels are also awfully handy. I would be fine with using baking soda instead of toothpaste, but I usually buy "Tom's" fennel toothpaste. I like buying grated cheese, but only if it is on sale, otherwise I'll grate it myself. Salad mixes in a bag, ready to eat. Pizza. rotisserie chicken, it's as good as going to a restaurant as far as we are concerned ;), fortunately for us we can get "Rocky the Range Chicken" rotisserie cooked at a local grocery, they are pretty open about how the birds are raised and a rather good quality. I'm sure there is more , but SO is wondering about dinner and it is my turn to cook....:p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
toilet paper, paper towels, and paper plates....but the latter two are not used as much here anymore. Plastic bags and wrap....still can't stop using them, but I use canning jars more and more in the fridge and freezer.

Store bought bread and pasta....I like to make my own, but if I don't have time and something has to give, those two items are the most likely to be purchased regularly.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I can and do make my own wine, but I REFUSE to give up my Coors Light!

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cooking spray here, I remember saving all those butter wrappers to grease pans and how hard it was to find them. Toilet paper a must. I use baking soda and peroxide for teeth brushing but DH won't. Aluminum foil and ziplock bags as I freeze two weeks of meals for DH on the road.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine would have to be Pepsi. I cannot give it up. I have tried and tried but I just want it and continue to buy it. Hope to wean myself someday..;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I like to find a balance in my life between SS and not-gonna-worry-about-it-too-much when I buy some things.

TP, of course, is a given.
Foam plates, plastic cups~yes, I know they are not "green", but a single working mom's gotta have some recourse! ;)
Paper towels, I like but do not have to have.
Sponge/scratcher for my dishwashing endeavors...love 'em!
Some household cleaners
PISSI pads

Yes....I indulge in some "luxuries"~I deserve them! :D

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine are:

*Swiffer dusters...I loathe dusting, my house is dusty & I'll take whatever I can get
*Magic erasers...my house would not look white without them, everything would be dingy :sick
*Frozen mac&cheese...my mom only buys Stauffers mac & cheese and as a result, my kids are mac & cheese snobs

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thinking about what each of us would not like to give up: Diet cola. Any brand, altho Diet Coke is my fav. Toilet paper and personal wet wipes. (TMI!!!) Zipper bags ( I wash and reuse until they have too many holes). and most important: Tissues. My nose runs continually, so tissues are important. I try to be stingy with them too!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'd have to add:
Crockpot
Bread machine
Sewing machine and overlocker
dehydrator
Vacuum sealer

Those are my convenience items, makes my life a little easier and a lot yummier.