Cook it or toss it???

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a serious duh moment yesterday!! :barnie I pulled out a pork roast from the freezer intending to put it in the fridge to thaw. As luck would have it...it never made it to the fridge. I discovered it sitting on the counter this morning.

Question: Should I toss it out or risk cooking it for dinner?? :idunno

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I certainly would cook it... Use your meat thermometer to make sure it is cooked to safety temp.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive ALWAYS thawed meat on the counter...unless your house is like 80 degrees and humid or the meat smells off i wouldnt give it a second thought... :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for me, I am iffy on these situations.

how long? overnight from say 7 pm
or overnight, from say 10 am that morning?

and if it was big it would take a long time to defrost anyway, but if smaller roast, it would defrost fast and then sit.

hmmm.....I am one of those chickens.

for me, I would personally cook it for the dogs. I have enough food where I do not ever have to chance this type of situation...and for me, it is a situation cause I just get ICKed out over this type of thing.

let us know how it goes....

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had this been a piece of beef, I wouldn't have a second thought about cooking it up. I'm just not that familiar with pork. Guess it's because I only have 1 recipe where it doesn't end up like a piece of chewing gum!!

I'm gonna use it, I hate wasting food and as long as it reaches temperature I think we'll survive!! :fl

Thanks for the words of wisdom!!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it's been out more than 2 hours, I'd toss it. Very sad, but consequences are consequences.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
If it's been out more than 2 hours, I'd toss it. Very sad, but consequences are consequences.
Sorry but I think that's just crazy and wasteful. It takes a lot more than 2 hours for a roast out of my freezer to thaw. Days in the fridge, or at least 1/2 day in a water bath.

g

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Modern science can be a wonderful thing, however.....I think they've played up the whole" germs are bad" issue a little much. My cousin wouldn't let anyone touch her kids unless they douched themselves in hand sanitizer first and wiped every surface of her house with bleach non-stop. Her kids are always sick. Ear infections, UTIs, bronchitis, pink eye, you name it. I however, don't do those things. I let me kids get dirty and while I encouraged hand washing before touching one of my kids as babies, I didn't stand over people and squirt sanitizer on them. Guess what...my kids are rarely sick. My oldest has had 2 ear infections in her 13 yrs of life and other than her kidney stones brought on by dehydration all of my kids are in good health.

People forget that there are good bacteria that actually benefit your body's immune system.

People freak out when they come into my house and see eggs in a basket on the counter. It takes a while to convince them that the bloom on the egg is a barrier for germs and that it's perfectly okay to leave them out as long as they are NOT washed.

I probably would have tossed the roast had it sat out all day today as well as overnight. My family's health and safety are not worth the price of a piece of meat. But I really think the germaphobia that has swept the nation is ridiculous!!

Stepping down of my soap box now!!! Thank you!! :duc