Cookbook recommendations?

3nglishteacher

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
One of my NY's resolutions is to grow more and eat more of what we grow. I'm a Southern girl, so my cooking methods are ~ boil the heck out of it in lots of bacon grease! I'd like to try different veggies and different recipes. I have an old Moosewood cookbook but want something more... Also want to reduce our meat consumption and start leaning more on beans.

So this is an All Call for your favorite cookbooks for beans and fresh veggies! And I thank you in advance :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Have you checked out Mollie Katzen's website? We use a lot of her recipes. Many of them can be modified to add meat, if you want.

www.molliekatzen.com

ETA: I always recommend trying your local public library first. That way you can try a book without purchasing it and if you find a book you really can't live without, you can get all the publisher info off the book and check online for an inexpensive copy.

Deborah Madison has some great books out there too.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
One of my favorites is an old Laurel's Kitchen. It focuses a lot on bread, and vegetarian meals. There's a lot of story to it , too. I used to borrow it from the library repeatedly, and finally found a used one on Ebay about a year ago, so I have a copy of my own.
Most vegetables are best prepared simply- not a lot of fuss. Try doing some web searches for the veggies you'd like to try-- you should find preparation tips there. Start small, then grow! Learn what the veggies are supposed to taste like before you get too creative.
If you're simply trying to add more veggies to your diet-- tossing some into casseroles is a great start too!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nothing wrong wit bacon grease. In fact, a lot of the nutrients in greens like spinach, kale and collards are fat soluble. Cooking them in bacon grease makes them available for use to the body. Without the fat, you don't get the benefits. http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/ill-have-mine-with-fat-please/

The most unhealthy part of Southern cooking is not the meat, it is all that sweet tea. Sugars and other carbohydrates from refined grains/sugars/starches and high sugar fruits are very damaging to the body.

Nothing wrong with a good pot of beans mind you...when prepared properly. It is hard to beat the price of beans and they can really stretch the budget. Just make sure you soak the beans no matter what your cook books say. Soaking is NOT just a way to make them cook faster. Soaking actually makes the beans more nutritious and neutralizes anti-nutrients. http://www.westonaprice.org/Be-Kind-to-Your-Grains...And-Your-Grains-Will-Be-Kind-To-You.html

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You are doing the right thing getting away from all of that grease. Nothing tastes better than grains, beans and veggies simply prepared without a lot of fat. Once you start eating this way, heavy, fatty foods just don't taste right. Every time I eat a high fat meal now, I get sick.

Oh yeah - I like the Diet for a Small Planet and Recipes for a Small Planet books.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I feel repetitious, but here are my two favorites: Nourishing Traditions and Wild Fermentation. Both of these books have been invaluable to me in cooking and preserving stuff from my garden and our own meats and dairy. Both are so much more than cookbooks....each is an amazing education in an accessible format.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And don't forget about all the breading, bread & sweet stuff, too WZ. Deep fried twinkies anyone? :sick

I also like nourishing traditions, although I'm still learning the ins & outs of it. It's almost more like a textbook than a cookbook. But in a good way.

I don't use a cookbook for most of my daily cooking. I see what is available at the store or farmers market. If it is something new, I'll go look for a recipe or adapt a current recipe to use it.

I've learned about patty pan squash, kale, kolrabi, eggplant, tomatoes & okra, and lately, sweet potatoes.

I thought I hated sweet potatoes. Then a few folks on here told me different ways of using them. Instead of the traditional syrupy pies or soufles, making them spicy or savory. Yum yum

But my hands down favorite is kale, sauted in a big cast iron skillet with a tablespoon or so of bacon grease, with onions, bell peppers, garlic & mushrooms. Topped off with pine nuts & parmesan cheese. I had that last night.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kale rocks.

I cook mine in a big pot of boiling water along with soba noodles. then drain and add a few tablespoons of tamari soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Easy and delicious.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I feel repetitious, but here are my two favorites: Nourishing Traditions and Wild Fermentatio
I will second that...again :D

Kale rocks.

I cook mine in a big pot of boiling water along with soba noodles. then drain and add a few tablespoons of tamari soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Easy and delicious.
That sounds good. I haven't tried kale in sesame oil yet. I usually cook it in ghee.