Cooking show "facts"...

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, Im watching this show about "health conscious recipes" and she's making a peach-pie smoothie ( I kno, sounds good right?) so she started with frozen peaches, "Which are actually comparible to fresh" not so sure about that, but ok. Then she goes on to use fat free yogurt ( :bleh ) and says that it is SO MUCH better than whole or even low fat, "All the nutrition and none of the fat! Just think of all that calcium." yeah, calcium your body can't breakdown w/out some of that fat! She then added dark honey to it and said "You want to use dark honey because it has more anti-oxidants than light honey." funny, I've never heard that one before, pretty sure that that color has everything to do with what type of flowers the pollen was harvested from...atleast that's what my bee keeper friend says...anyone able to back up or disprove any of these things? I kno I'm right about the milkfat/calcium absorbtion part, but anyone else wanna chime in? I just can't stand it when ppl have facts all wrong, but are still preachin like it's gospel...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Frozen veggies CAN be as good as or better than fresh if they are processed immediately at the farm. Of course local fresh picked beats grocery store any day.

As for fat free, it is not only a nutritional waste of time (without fat, your body can't use a lot of the vitamins in it), it can be outright unhealthy. Dehydrated milk powder is added to non-fat and low fat items to give it more body. The dehydrating process oxidizes the cholesterol in the milk and turns it in to a health hazard.

Most cooking gurus are nutritional idiots...but so are the professionals who advise them.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate when people talk about fat free dairy products. Especially a new commercial that starts with "1% milk is a fraud!" and then goes on to spout how terrible it is for you, and how you should only drink fat free, even for small children. I'll keep drinking my whole milk, and being pretty much the healthiest person I know, thanks very much.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Especially a new commercial that starts with "1% milk is a fraud!" and then goes on to spout how terrible it is for you, and how you should only drink fat free, even for small children.
:lol: I'm glad we dropped out from tv land. :rolleyes:

I had some fresh strawberries yesterday and just for kicks I whipped up some full fat whipping cream. Mmmmmmmmm. That was the most satisfying snack I have had in a long time. :D

I did find this bit about antioxidants in honey from the World's Healthiest Foods website :

Darker honeys, specifically honey from buckwheat flowers, sage and tupelo, contain a greater amount of antioxidants than other honeys, and raw, unprocessed honey contains the widest variety of health-supportive substances.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i'm glad they're pushing skim milk. i really want the younger generations getting stupider so that we cannot compete in the global market. when the SHTF, we know there is plenty of cannon fodder.

if they pressed good nutrition, what would happen? intelligence. and THEN who'd buy their stuff?

they're on the right track and i approve of this message.

>.>

the sad thing is i'm not sure i'm being sarcastic as the poor nutrition will speed things along and i want an implosion.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
i'm glad they're pushing skim milk. i really want the younger generations getting stupider so that we cannot compete in the global market. when the SHTF, we know there is plenty of cannon fodder.

if they pressed good nutrition, what would happen? intelligence. and THEN who'd buy their stuff?

they're on the right track and i approve of this message.

>.>

the sad thing is i'm not sure i'm being sarcastic as the poor nutrition will speed things along and i want an implosion.
At my old work, a lady in her late 60s was trying to lose weight. She did all of the popular, conventional things. Fat free, diet, blah blah. Yes, she did lose weight. But she was also becoming more forgetful, clumsy, and her hearing was failing. Everyone chalked it up to aging. I know, I don't look into these things on the level some of you super smart people do. (Not sarcastic!) I can't explain in in scientific terms. But I saw it happening, and it made me sad.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
When you burn up fat, the toxins that may be present and stored in the fat can be released into your bloodstream. The same thing happens with drugs like LSD. At least I heard that is what causes the LSD flashback phenomenon. Maybe she had vast stores of heavy metals stored in her fat? Mercury would do it.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't convince my nine-year-old son we should go back on whole milk. Funny thing is, when we had it in the house it was all he drank. And this is the same kid that is begging for a milk cow. I wonder if he thinks milk cows just squirt out 2% milk. If we could I'd rather get one that gave us chocolate milk.