Cooking with less meat ideas? (to save money)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How about checking out the soup thread? That's a great way to go entirely meatless or to make meat stretch out a LONG way. I could easily be vegetarian, but my husband loves his meat. I find that 1 lb of meat in soup makes him happy and feeds us for about 4-5 meals :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts, but one way I stretch meat out is to make one-pot meal type dishes. Examples would be--take two chcken breasts, cook, cut up into bite size pieces, mix in with a bunch of noodles or rice, a bunch of vegetables and season. This usually provides a meal with leftovers. 'Subsitute with ground beef or sliced beef etc.

sorry if its already been said.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night, I made red beans & rice. (the teenager won't eat it, but he went out to eat with his dad yesterday & I told him to eat a PBJ if he was still hungry. LOL) But I didn't use nearly as much sausage as I normally would. I used a whole pound of red beans and just a few ounces of sausage. You know what? It was just as good. LOL

I also made some tuna casserole for tonight. I used egg noodles, a can of tuna, some frozen green peas, corn & green beans. Seasoned with butter, a little milk, lemmon pepper season salt, and about a half cup of parmesan cheese. WOW it's good!

Cassandra

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds good! Now I want red beans and rice! Or maybe tuna-noodle stuff... mmm tuna noodley goodness...

Another thought I had is sticking with the really flavorful meats when you want to stretch, because then you can use less of them. Like, half a pound of chicken breast might get lost in a dish more easily... but chicken thigh meat is easier, because when it cooks it makes everything taste like chicken. Similarly, sausage, bacon, the tough cuts of beef that need long cooking, the stronger-tasting fishes... these things are all good for using less because they'll spread the flavor around more.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
For years we have simply cut the amount of meat called for in a recipe by half. This way I could get 2 meals out of 4 single chicken breasts or 4 meals out of 1 pound of beef. Now we rarely eat meat.

This is a good hearty meal with crusty bread. I like it best hot or warm, but it can also be served cold.

Vegetable Torta with Fresh Basil

Serves 8 - Makes one 10-inch torta

Baked in a springform pan and served in wedges like a cake, this thick vegetable torta is best made the day before and reheated. It can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated. Serving temperature can be hot, room temperature, or cold.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz fresh mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
3 yellow summer squash, sliced 1/4 thick
3 zucchini, sliced 1/4 thick
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 thick strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 thick strips
6 large eggs
1/4 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
About 3 cups day-old bread, in 1/2" cubes
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, cut into chunks
2 cups (6-8 oz) shredded Swiss, Jarlsberg or Havarti cheese

Preheat oven to 350F, if baking immediately. Brush the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan with oil. To prevent leaking, wrap the outside of the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, and peppers and saut until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

While the vegetables are cooking, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and basil in a very large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes and cheeses.

Add the sauted vegetables to the bread mixture and stir with a large rubber spatula to combine. Transfer to the prepared pan and pack the mixture tightly. Place the pan on a baking sheet.

Bake for 1 hour, until firm to the touch, puffed, and golden brown. Serve hot or warm if serving the same day. Or cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.

To Transport: Tightly cover and place in a position to prevent tipping.
On Site/Prep: May be reheated at 350F for 15 minutes, or until warmed.

To serve, cut into pie-shaped wedges.

Note: all zucchini or all yellow summer squash can be used, if that is what you have.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Another meal that is relatively inexpensive to prepare. The taste varies, depending on the spice used (ginger, cinnamon, thyme).

Jollof Rice
Recipe from Nigeria

Serves 6

1 2 1/2 to 3 lb broiler-fryer cut up
2 T peanut or cooking oil
1 med onion, chopped
1 16-oz can tomatoes, cut up, but not drained
1 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp ground ginger, OR ground cinnamon, OR dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 cup long grain rice
1 T snipped parsley

In a large skillet, brown the chicken pieces on both sides in hot oil about 15 minutes; remove from skillet. Set chicken aside, reserving drippings. Add the onion to the drippings; cook until tender but not brown. Drain off fat. Return chicken to skillet.

Combine tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, spice of your choice, salt and red pepper. Pour over the chicken. DO NOT STIR. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover, simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off fat.

Add the rice, making sure all rice is covered with liquid. Cover, simmer for 30 minutes more or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.

Note: This meal can be made without meat or with half the meat. Brown rice works equally well, but the above is the original recipe.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Warm and filling...... and meat free

Barley Casserole
Serves 4

2 onions, peeled & chopped
4 T butter
2 pounds leeks, cleaned, trimmed, sliced into 1 inch lengths
1/2 pound carrots, scraped and diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 1/2 cup pearl barley
3 cups vegetable stock or water
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized chunks
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Saut the onion in the butter for 5 minutes in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the leeks, carrots and celery, mixing gently to coat with butter.

Cover the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes.

Add the barley, mix well, then add the stock together with a good teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper.

Cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes, then add the potatoes, putting them into the top of the casserole.

Cook for a further 20 minutes, covered, or until the potatoes and barley are tender and all the water has been absorbed.

Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.

NOTE: In a pinch, can use green onions instead of leeks. The taste is a bit different, but just as good.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Man. I have GOT to find me some pearl barley. I love that stuff.

Cassandra

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Man. I have GOT to find me some pearl barley. I love that stuff.

Cassandra
I find it really cheap in the Mexican food isle, usually next to the Goya brand stuff, it is less than a dollar a bag.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK - being from Minnesota we eat alot of Hotdishes. I believe you all call them casseroles. One of the favorites around my house is ...

Tator Tot Hotdish

1lb hamburger - I often use ground turkey to save money- it doesn't really change the taste.
1 can or 1 pint mixed veggies - I will often save left over veggies for a few days if I know I am going to be making this. It works the same.
1 small bag frozen tator tots
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 to 3/4 soup can of milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown the hamburger (I brown mine with chopped onion and celery), mix in the veggies, (you can also add mushrooms, onions, celery, whatever else you like at this point if you like) add the cream soup and add 1/2 to 3/4 soup can of milk
place in the bottom of a greased casserole. Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese, top with tator tots, bake in oven for time recommended for tator tots or untill heated through. Add remainer of cheese and put back in oven untill cheese is melted.

This is a very good recipe that can be changed to your families liking. We have it about once every six weeks or so around here and my kids ask for it more often than that.

Sorry edited because of a silly mistake!