Cool Summer Dinner Idea (PIX)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The past few days have been around 110 here!! Right now, my outdoor thermometer says 112! On days like this I do not feel like heating up the house making hot meals.

So, my squash is putting out male flowers at the moment, so I decided to use some! Here is a cool summer dinner idea.

Squash blossoms stuffed with Chicken salad, carrot strips, grapes and some really nice Potato Chips from Trader Joe's.

6262011SquashBlossom001email.jpg

And for dessert we had a cheese blintz with an apricot glaze.

6262011CheeseBlintz04email.jpg

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beautiful! I rarely get to make "pretty food" but that looks wonderful, and sounds nice and cool too. :)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yummy! To beat the heat I have been enjoying frozen vanilla bean yogurt topped with homemade blueberry jam.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Yummy! To beat the heat I have been enjoying frozen vanilla bean yogurt topped with homemade blueberry jam.
Many times I make my own frozen yogurt pops by adding fruits or jams and using my popsicle makers.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebbetzin,

That looks absolutely scrumptious! I do meals like that while I'm home by myself as doc is working 12 hour swing-shifts and prefers something with a bit more oomph.

I feel like a whiner complaining about our 102 temps. Our early spring was like 10 degrees below normal then we jumped to summer (long before it's official start) and have been 10+ degrees above normal.

Once it gets this hot, doc does alot of cooking over the open fire and on the grill so we're not heating the camper up.

Dawn

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
And for dessert we had a cheese blintz with an apricot glaze.
share please??? It looks ( and sounds) awesome!
Crepes

1/2 cup milk
1 tbs melted butter
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Filling

Cream Cheese
Powdered Sugar (to taste)
Blend together well.
(Make enough for a heaping tablespoon in each crepe)

Melt butter in warmed milk, let cool a bit, beat in egg, then add dry ingredients, beat together, batter will be thin. Heat a non stick or well seasoned pan. A light coat of oil helps the crepes to not stick. Pour about 1/4 cup in hot pan, tilt pan so batter covers the bottom of the pan. Let it cook on one side until it is dry on the top. Turn over to cook other side. Don't over cook, just lightly browned.

Remove from pan with a good sized spatula, place on a cookie sheet or plate, put filling in center, fold edges over filling to make a small rectangle. Put finished crepes in an oven proof pan. Keep warm in low oven

Glaze

Equal amounts of
Apricot Jam
Butter

(I put the jam and butter in a glass cup, "nuke" it until the butter melts and the jam is liquid.
Stir well, and put over blintz just before serving. )