Copy Machines a Financial ID Security Risk

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
47b20s0.gif

My next business venture! I'm gonna start buying all the used copiers I can find! :celebrate That's got to be better than hitting the lottery!
2gwb921.gif

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My GEEK son gave me some additional information about this. He said that copiers have a setting that does this digital record keeping stuff. It DOES not just do it automatically. He also said that most of the digital recording of this type is done when faxing on the machines. It is against HEPA regulations to sell ANYTHING with hard drive on it that may contain personal information about people. When he was working at a medical college they had to wipe EVERY hard drive according to industry standards with a strong electromagnet before trashing or selling anything.

He tells me people can actually get jail time for failing to do this. Perhaps the people in question need to be prosecuted and delt with severely. (interesting in the case where a police department is involved).

This story also got him up on his soapbox about why people NEED good, well trained IT people to take care of their technology. (and yes he is currently looking for a job since being laid off due to the economy)

ellie_may12

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Makes me want to buy a 100 acres and become a hermit!

With the government wanting databases of everyone's BMI, these websites that scour the internet trying to find every time you have visited a blog, forum or networking site...it all kind of freaks me out!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
life is computerized and with all the crap out there I sure am not worrying about this it happens to me it happens, etc etc
I don't worry about this kind of stuff anymore I came to the realization I am a small ant and give up I don't care anymore sad but true