Corn crop for canning

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey all, long time no see! It's been a busy winter and we are just now gearing up for the growing season! (yea!)

Anyway... I want to plant a patch of corn this season mostly to can plenty of what we grow, but also for eating what we can on the cob.I grew ton's as a child at home, but I have not done it myself... (honestly, we had a HUGE garden just for corn and I have no freaking clue where mom put it all....)

Anyway, here in Connecticut, I am looking for suggestions as to plot size, brand, and any canning tips before I plant the corn. My garden is 50x25 so I have some decent room and I was thinking in the line of maybe a patch 25 wide and who knows, 10-20 long.

Thanks!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know how to do "small" corn
We plant about 50 acres or so of sweet corn

I freeze corn. I never canned it.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'd say, since each stalk produces (usually) 2 ears each, you could do some math and figure it comes out to about 3-ish ears per pint jar. A pint jar is about 2 servings (again, roughly). So I'd say to go off of that, and figure how many you'll be feeding and for how long. I'll be canning this year as well (2 years ago I froze it all), but I planted 4 rows of sweet corn, each row is 100ft long. Obviously you won't eat corn every day, as I'm sure you'll have other veggies to munch on.

Hope that helps! Just be careful not to cut into the cob, unless you want cream corn.