Corn refiners are pouring it on....

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
What I cannot figure out, is that the general population buys the lie that sugar is healthy.
Boggles my brain!
I thought sugar was one of the basic food groups.
You know:

Meat
Potatoes
Salt
Grease
Sugar
Alcohol
Tobacco

Well, maybe not the last one.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
txhomegrown said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
What I cannot figure out, is that the general population buys the lie that sugar is healthy.
Boggles my brain!
You know:

Meat
Potatoes
Salt
Grease
Sugar
Alcohol
Tobacco

I'm assuming this was tongue in cheek?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby came home and said his boss said "high fructose anything is bad, but corn syrup is ok."

Yep. Hubby won't believe me until I loose weight. Come on weight!! Go!!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
The advertisers push it as a healthy food.

Very few people actually realize ads lie, even though they they get offended pretty constantly at "false advertising". It's a concept that ads are all honest and those few that are false should be sued.

And anyone who takes out a full page ad is more honest, especially if there are any numbers involved or statistics.

And anything the government says is doubly true, and more reinforced when ads agree with it.

For all that people "know" the govvie lies and politicians lie and advertisers lie and used car salesman is a slur... they actually believe the vast majority of it and would be shocked to learn it really IS all a lie.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Everyone I know except my dad believes that tripe! I'm saving wifey's info to share when anyone argues with me about it being safe. It says it so much better than I ever could. I just mumble something about GMOs and not natural and they use it instead of sugar because it cheaper!
"Luckily" my son is actually allergic to corn so we'd be avoiding it anyway.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I do not mind the CONCEPT of GMO. I mind the extent, the lack of disclosure, and the disregard for consequences.

It's very possible GMO is the only way we'll get foods that will grow in space when we jettison ;) So I don't mind them.

But if you are mixing things, not knowing the results for a generation or 2, you need to let people choose.

I don't mind that it'll take a generation or so to fully get results. That's fine. That's how you learn. But if I don't wanna participate in your experiment, I should be able to opt out.

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
txhomegrown said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Boggles my brain!
You know:

Meat
Potatoes
Salt
Grease
Sugar
Alcohol
Tobacco

Pretty much so. A friend asked me one time what was my favorite vegetable and I told her macaroni and cheese. I explained, when you go to the all you can eat buffet where do you find the macaroni and cheese? Right next to the peas and carrots and other veggies.
So it has to be a vegetable.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
txhomegrown said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
txhomegrown said:
You know:

Meat
Potatoes
Salt
Grease
Sugar
Alcohol
Tobacco

Pretty much so. A friend asked me one time what was my favorite vegetable and I told her macaroni and cheese. I explained, when you go to the all you can eat buffet where do you find the macaroni and cheese? Right next to the peas and carrots and other veggies.
So it has to be a vegetable.
:D Just thought I would ask :cool:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
I do not mind the CONCEPT of GMO. I mind the extent, the lack of disclosure, and the disregard for consequences.

It's very possible GMO is the only way we'll get foods that will grow in space when we jettison ;) So I don't mind them.

But if you are mixing things, not knowing the results for a generation or 2, you need to let people choose.

I don't mind that it'll take a generation or so to fully get results. That's fine. That's how you learn. But if I don't wanna participate in your experiment, I should be able to opt out.
:thumbsup