Cornish Cross Spring 2018 Cost/Profit/Loss or Freezer Meat

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Grocery store I like is 35 minutes one direction, feed store is 30 minutes the other direction.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a feed store, grocery store and Walmart in our town. But the horse feed that I have used for YEARS is in Sulphur Springs, an hour away. So we go get 20 bags. We feed it to the pigs too. It doesn't have lysine in it, which is an essential pig nutrient, so we buy cheap eggs at Aldi's in Tyler to boil for the pigs. LOL

We went to Aldis in Tyler, bought a bunch of stuff and walked out for $80. There are somethings I won't buy in our local grocery stores, they are too dang high.

Tomorrow-butchering chickens again.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We butchered 15 today, 1 keeled over dead a couple of days ago. Heart attack? Diabetes? Old age? Fatty liver? :idunno

We took 3 whole chickens to Robert and Sharon, our neighbors and good friends. They were delighted. Sharon said she would stuff and bake one of them for Christmas dinner. Theirs weighed 4.11, 4.6 and 4.12 pounds and ounces.

The other 12 are packed on ice in the cooler in the kitchen floor. I will process them tomorrow. We had to go get me another case of quart jars for the dog food and 2 rolls of vacuum seal bags.

We came in at 12:30, took showers, ate lunch, sat down and we both fell asleep! We were tired.

I will post total pounds of whole chicken, cost of feed and cost of the chickens in a few days.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Delaware’s got put on the back burner for awhile. The CX were kinda NOW! I still hate the Delaware’s, they are in the cross hairs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Evil birds... But they're laying eggs so it's not like you're losing anything by waiting!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Um... I don't know how to cut up a chicken.. My husband has to do it for me:hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo! Not bad at all. Will you raise them again? You're going to have happy people and happy dogs!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
On this scale, it is difficult to make money on projects like this one. However, nothing beats having a pantry and freezer full of home grown chicken. It makes life easier in that respect.