Cornish Pasties

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread and decided to post it separately too.

This is my grandmother's recipe for Cornish Pasties....

Cornish Pasties

PASTRY:
4 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter, chilled cut into 1/4 inch cubes (Grandma used lard or butter)
8-10 Tablespoons ice water
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)

FILLING:
1 cup chopped small, rutabaga or turnip
2 cups finely diced lean beef, top round or skirt steak or flank
1 cup coarsely chopped onions
2 cups finely diced potatoes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F.
To make pastry, rub together flour and fat to make a coarse meal. Add 8 tablespoons ice water all at once. If dough crumbles, add more water. Refrigerate to rest one hour before rolling out.

Roll dough to a circle 1/4 inch thick and cut into 6 inch rounds. Re-roll any scraps and cut into additional circles.

To prepare filling, cut ingredients into very small pieces. It's important to have the potatoes and the meat cooked during the same time period since they will be cooking together, so cut to appropriately sized cubes to effect that end result.

Combine ingredients in a bowl to mix evenly. Put 1/4 cup of the mixture into the center of a rolled out pastry.

Moisten pasty edges, fold in half, and crimp to seal. Place on a buttered baking sheet and brush lightly with egg wash. Make 2 slits in each pasty to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 400 F 15 minutes, reduce heat and continue at 350 F until golden.

Serve hot or cold.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the carrots in place of the rutabaga. How many does this make?
One of the places around here that makes pasties to sell only cooks them partway and then freezes them. Then when you buy them and reheat them, you can finish baking them in the oven.
Another place says to reheat in the microwave thoroughly then place them in the oven to brown the crust. This works well also.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I do like cornish pasties (if someone else makes 'em, I'm too lazy) but is it me, or does the name always sound like something you'd see strippers wearing in Cornwall? :p

Maybe it's just me :p

Pat

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol::yuckyuck
No, it's not just you! I've never had one of these and I hesitated to open this thinking it was some odd joke about Cornish strippers!
Thank you for the recipe, I may try to vegetarianize it somehow. It would be fun to tell my DH to expect Cornish Pasties tonight!:gig

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I like the idea of these, but, I am not a pie crust lover. (or rutabaga either), but I think these might be a good thing to make for the freezer for hubby if I have no leftovers for him to take to work. Maybe I will make a small batch for him to see if he likes them.

I will plan to cook a roast next week.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
annmarie said:
:lol::yuckyuck
No, it's not just you! I've never had one of these and I hesitated to open this thinking it was some odd joke about Cornish strippers!
Thank you for the recipe, I may try to vegetarianize it somehow. It would be fun to tell my DH to expect Cornish Pasties tonight!:gig
Hehe...

Annmarie, I would use seitan in place of the beef. I bet they'd be totally yummy that way...I'd probably marinate the seitan for a little while in a little bit of veggie broth with some worcestershire sauce and plenty of pepper. Anyway, that's my vegetarian $.02. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm not a vegearian either, but lentils could be used in lieu of the beef. I've made lentil loaf before that was very much like meatloaf.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The other thread I posted this recipe in was about using up pot roast. My grandmother always used leftover beef.

I have made them with just veggies before, by using traditional stew veggies. We like them with carrots, peas, garlic, onion, leeks, potatoes, turnips, rutabaga. I agree with MTN, lentils might be a better option. I might try lentils, as dh hates tofu.

The number I get from the recipe depends on my mood and how large I make them. I don't especially like them nuked.

Pastie - like mentioned in the other thread - sounds the same as NASTY.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I like the idea of these, but, I am not a pie crust lover. (or rutabaga either), but I think these might be a good thing to make for the freezer for hubby if I have no leftovers for him to take to work. Maybe I will make a small batch for him to see if he likes them.

I will plan to cook a roast next week.
The fillings are identical to what I use in foil packets and that would eliminate the crust issue :) Just a thought.
And also we have two veggies in our family so we make the pasties with rutabagas, carrots, onion, potato and a drop of butter. They love them that way.

Latest posts