Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Anyone gonna do a bit of extra household resupplying during the 'safe' time before crazy buying happens again in the second wave that's been estimated to happen later this year?

I'm gonna get extra beans if I can. Most all my beans went to the fmils, cause the stores near them been emptied out far longer than she thought they would. She does not prepare for just in case at all and likes every other day store trips 🙄
Absolutely. I have some roasts, and a ham to can in the freezer. I have broilers to process in 3 weeks. I have 1/2 beef and a hog ordered from the slaughterhouse down the road. I am hoping that they will be able to fill that order. I am going to garden like crazy, and can or freeze everything that is not nailed down. We're picking up some extras at the grocery store each trip. You can order bulk groceries from Costco and they'll ship them to you in two days. I ordered some canned salmon, sugar, canned tuna, coffee creamer, and a few other things to add to my food storage. Shipping is also free. I hope to have my first shipment from them tomorrow.

I have bulk canning lids ordered, but I have enough on hand to get me through several hundred jars. I'm planning a big fall garden too. I've got my hands on another fridge and freezer for the garage to use to store fall cabbages, carrots, turnips and eggs.

I've got some extra pullets ordered for mid June and another batch of broilers scheduled for September. We are not hoarding or cleaning shelves out, but we are planning for the worst to come. I am fixing all of my rabbit hutches in case I need to start raising meat rabbits to supplement my freezer. I've got to order two gun scopes next month to fix up my hunting rifle and semi automatic rifle. That was something I had planned to do, but I hadn't got around to it yet. I had been using Dad's gun to hunt, but I'll have my own soon.

This summer, I am hoping to be able to add more dry milk and some other "preppy" foods to the pantry. I have a small supply, but I think it wouldn't be bad to have them on hand.

There are five people in my household, and if things get bad, it will easily become 6 or 8. I am trusting in the Lord to provide and keep us safe. Simultaneously, I am doing my part to be ready. I'd rather be an ant than a sluggard--- that is in the Book of Proverbs.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My restock list is one more big pack TP because people are still hoarding here, another large coffee canister, freezer paper, ziploc bags. I'm good on canning jar lids this year.

If deer hunting is bad, we'll eat more lamb. I prefer venison, but whatever. I might be interested in more fishing this year? IDK, depends on how busy we are. The fish here are plentiful but small. We're a fishing tourist destination, so maybe if people stay home the fishing will be better?

I'm prepping the garden and am ahead of my usual progress at this time of the year. I thought I couldn't maintain the whole thing but I'm going to go for it! My unheated greenhouse didn't give much of a head start to I need to buy a few started plants - and I'm thinking the sooner the better. Stores might sell out extra fast this year!

The #1 thing for me is to look after my health. I can grow, harvest, and preserve enough food for my family, but only if I can stay healthy through the summer. The last 2 years I haven't been able to do that.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I had some problems with my water bed for my seedlings. Apparently, the new heater works 10x better than the old one...lesson learned. But I do have an order of plants coming in for the garden from the hardware store. I have connections in management. So, we will have some tomatoes. Our stores are still stocked with them right now.

Of course, the breaking news from CNN and NBC is that Tyson Chairman warns that the food system is breaking... that will probably cause problems getting plants.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We picked up 85 pounds of meat today. Most of that will be canned as cubes and burger. I'll be doing more later.

We'll get tuna later in the year to can up as well. I still have quite a bit left from last time so we'll be good on fish. Didn't get much razor clams this spring because of the mess, but hopefully we can fill up this fall.

We don't use much chicken and I usually have extra silkie cockerels for soups.

I'm finally getting off my butt and getting the greenhouse up. It's second hand without instructions so this is being fun.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can order bulk groceries from Costco and they'll ship them to you in two days. I ordered some canned salmon, sugar, canned tuna, coffee creamer, and a few other things to add to my food storage. Shipping is also free. I hope to have my first shipment from them tomorrow.

I didn't know that about Costco. I'll have to have a look-see at their website.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had some problems with my water bed for my seedlings. Apparently, the new heater works 10x better than the old one...lesson learned. But I do have an order of plants coming in for the garden from the hardware store. I have connections in management. So, we will have some tomatoes. Our stores are still stocked with them right now.

Of course, the breaking news from CNN and NBC is that Tyson Chairman warns that the food system is breaking... that will probably cause problems getting plants.
There's a business opportunity there, if you can get more plants ready than you need for your own garden. Or you could be a saint and give them away. Either way would help people.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been keeping track of all the "holes" I found in my preps and filling them as I could all along. I don't buy an entire case of something, just 2-4 of each. But I buy them every time I go shopping.

With only 1/2 acre to work with, I know we can't grow everything we eat; but I've got chickens for eggs and a few mature fruit trees and decent-sized garden. The rest of it we have to purchase, but I've been canning/dehydrating/freeze drying all along, as well as buying large bags of wheat, beans, rice and salt. Meat may become a special treat, but I hope we will discover we have enough food to get us through the coming shortages (and I hope it won't turn into a global famine).
The thing I worry about is the possibility of someone deciding to "reapportion" my stores.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
139 cases in my county now. Still climbing and we are going to open up the state and go back to work.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m waiting on the sweet gum balls so I can make home made tamiflu.

Interesting -- missed that info -- elaborate pls?

I have a good store of elderberry juice, syrups, dehydrated & frozen berries. I'm eyeing my favorite wild collection places and the plants are really looking good!! A couple weeks of spot collecting this summer will add more to my stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.