Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I advise y’all to get garden seed now for fall and maybe next spring too.

Even save your own -- if you have plants that mature for you. Heat and no rain are not helping my garden! But some of my best plants are from seed I saved from prior years.

I am pretty sure my Fall garden will be better than the Spring one this yr. And I also feel next yr the Country will be in a very similar situation, sadly.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In these times, even varieties you wouldn't otherwise plant, may come to the rescue for next season's seeds. Consider: Any red pepper from grocer will yield mature seed that can be dried and used for a new crop. Look for heirloom tomatoes from grocer or farmer's market. Let your own veggies mature. Even hybrids will produce fruit. It will not be the same as the parent plants, but... it may produce some surprisingly good plants. Lettuce, spinach, kale can produce seed in a single season. Let beets and chard winter over to produce an abundant crop of seed the following summer. Let a few garlic scapes mature for bulbils which will yield an abundant crop of garlic in 2 years.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had one pea plant last year that managed to survive our winter and produced pods this spring. I carefully harvested the mature 29 seeds for planting later. I'm hoping these seeds will pass their hardiness on. If I can get seeds that are acclimated to our microclimate, I believe I will get higher yields from future gardens.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been growing long beans for years. I ordered the seed from Baker Creek, they called it Thai #3, as the seed came from Thailand. I have saved seed every year, from 1999. They produce loads of beans, so many that I get sick of them.

This is truly a survival food in warm climates. If anyone wants seed, PM me your address and I will send you seed as it matures and becomes available. They take about 3 months to start producing and will pound you to death with green beans until a hard killing frost.

I also have Painted Mountain corn seed. It tassels in 40 days and makes beautiful corn for cornmeal. It is a short season, cool weather corn, but survives and thrives here in the Texas heat. I will share seed for it too.

We all need to share and swap seed so that we have tried and true varieties of vegetables to grow.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did anyone see Trump's press conference yesterday? He stated that the military is ready to deliver the vaccine when it's ready. No reporter asked what he means by that, (just other stupid questions). Why the military is needed, and who are they delivering to? Thoughts?

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOVE LOVE LOVE the mask JanetMarie!

The last I heard about the vaccine is that it would be given to the minorities and elderly first since they were hit the hardest.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are we going to be forced to accept the vaccine too? If so, it was nice knowing all of you. I have zero confidence in the safety and efficacy of this rushed and untested vaccine, but I have read about Gates' vaccine history, and I'm aware that he is the third generation of a family that has been connected with the Eugenics Movement.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Melbourne has been hit with their second wave. Apparently hotel security guarding those in quarantine were the cause of it getting in to the community. WA has toughened our rules, but there are a lot of people fleeing home after catching the virus overseas, for easier and cheaper access to healthcare here. SO they are getting on planes, while they know they are infected, and infecting plane loads of people on the trip home. Our quarantine seems stricter than over east, but time will tell if the state has done enough.

A bit of a double edged sword though, because then we have very little immunity in the entire state. There is already "no jab no pay" policies for families on welfare, so I think most will get a vaccine if it was to be found. I have had extreme reactions to vaccines in the past so could probably get an exemption if they tried to force it on me. I live quite a solitary life anyway so I am no danger to others.

At the moment the state is doing really well. We just finished winter school holidays and local tourism has really boomed with people holidaying at home. There is more money running though my town than there has been in a decade and more business than I have seen. The extra stimulus money has made a major difference to a lot of peoples lives, including mine. I have had a really great winter and this is one of the best years of my adult life.

There is no law on wearing masks where I am, because there is no community transmission. The shops have had them for sale but I figure I will only get one when I have to, as they are $5 each for a single use mask and I have other dust masks and am able to make my own if need be. Hopefully the state stays safe with the forced quarantine and fines they have in place.

Keep well everyone :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are signs up in EVERY business right now about masks being required. But, I waltz in, sans mask, and if anyone asks, I tell them I have a medical waiver (true). I believe they are meeting the letter of the law by having the signs up (masks required) and limiting entry to accommodate social distancing. I have been required to wear mask or face shield if going in medical building.

Status
Not open for further replies.