Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
unlike Americans, who have historically been plain cussed. We got kicked out of all the more civilized countries and ended up here.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I have little sympathy for the Victorians who are upset about these lockdowns. What is that saying? I dont agree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it. They should be allowed to voice their concerns, but in doing so, they show how little perspective they have. The restrictions on their life now, are much like the restrictions on life for anyone who lives with disability, in poverty, or elderly. They are getting a taste of life on the flip side and cant hack it. Melbourne's quality of life and wealth tops the rest of the country (by far).

For people outside of the CBD, many live in suburban homes. Lockdown in Victoria is not like say, Spain. Families here have their own backyards and accessible public parks and spaces. Exercise and essential movement has still been allowed. The support payments have been very generous. These are starting to be wound back, so the coming few months is when the unease will be at its peak.

Australia doesn't have the history of that the US does. Our constitution is different, there is more trust in the government than there is in God. From the very beginning of colonisation by convicts, the reliance on the government to survive was there. The country is harsh and sparse. We've never had civil war, we are still a part of the Commonwealth. The little pockets of violence, like the eureka stockade, are known but not extensively taught in schools nor much in the modern mind. Most kids would know more US history than our own, simply from TV.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hey USA Preppers, COVID might impact your Thanksgiving dinner. The WI counties where Jennie-O turkeys are raised are in a region of uncontrolled spread of COVID, and the Jennie-O processing plant in WI is now affected.

(Sidebar) Most of Jennie-O is located in MN, which is the largest producer of turkeys in the USA. MN produces about 40 million turkeys per year and 90% of those are exported to other states. Jennie-O has 6 processing plants, 5 of which are in MN and one in WI.

Employees of the WI plant report (on social media) that the plant is running at reduced capacity, and there are rumors (rebutted by employees) that it will close for 2 weeks.
COVID is spreading at exponential rates in the area around the WI plant, where the majority of people resist following public health recommendations.

Jennie-O has already had 2 plants shut down temporarily due to COVID in April - May.

I would not depend on low prices on turkeys this year. Maybe the company can compensate, maybe supply will be down, or maybe fewer family gatherings means fewer shared meals - and more tables to put a turkey on. Anything could happen yet.

If its an important tradition for you and you dont have enough stretch in your budget to pay higher prices this year, plan ahead. Better safe than sorry.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a shame. This virus is tearing up the food supply chain. Talk about some broken links! I am willing to bet that turkeys aren't the only thing that will be in short supply.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And they NEVER post how many people have tested positive for Covid but have recovered.
Love our county website. They show suspected, confirmed, deceased
Screenshot (20).png
and recovered cases.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
And they NEVER post how many people have tested positive for Covid but have recovered. Apparently, as far as the MSM is concerned, all those cases are still active- going all the way back to February.
My county reports cumulative cases, new, currrent, recovered, hospitalized, and deaths. Every day. Once a week theres a breakdown of age, gender, city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts