Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens have been known to play with them and when scratching can get wrapped onto legs.
Years ago I had some cochin bantams and a roo got one of those strings around his foot - but it was under the feathers and he nearly lost a toe. Pays to really watch out for those things!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't but any six packs but....the strings I pull from feed bags are something to watch for! Chickens have been known to play with them and when scratching can get wrapped onto legs. I try to be sure they are deep into the bag of such trash in the barn.
When I open a bag, I drop the string and tape right into the bottom of my barrel. Every now and then, I clean the clutter of strings out of the barrel, and send them off to the dump. When I use those feed bags in the garden, I make sure to pull the string off the closed end. I find it amazing that those cotton strings don't rot.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stick the strings in my pocket, and then they get wrapped onto a ball of string.... sometimes I use some of the string for something.... yeah, "pieces" instead of one continuous....but useable....
I like the idea of crocheting with them.....Would be nice to learn how to do that....could do "tatting" to make stuff out of the string....

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Knowing how resistant it is to rotting.... it would be worth saving. I've never considered saving it, b/c I didn't see a need for string of that dimension... However... there is a rat/mouse trap where the string would be exactly what's needed. I would like to make a few of those traps in the future. Already have guitar strings saved up for the noose. need some wire of the right tension that will remain "springy". This is the design I'm looking at: Mascal rat/mouse trap

Last edited:

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am nearing re-stock time here. Usually I go down to the city but I might just keep bumping along closer to home. The virus still isn't anywhere near me, but things are getting a bit hairy on the east coast. Hopefully they change the returning rules today so that people need to test negative before even getting on a flight to Australia as the cases are largely traced back to hotel quarantine of returned travellers. Our state border is shut to the "hot" states again, but it is the middle of summer holidays and people are crawling all over the countryside.

Garden is going super well, I am so happy with it right now :D I hope I can keep it up!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1610068322174.png

Status
Not open for further replies.