cost of raising rabbits

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
How much does it cost in dollars ( not time and effort) to raise one pint of boneless canned rabbit meat? (Not counting the canning equipment, and let's say your facilities are already set up and you already have breeding stock)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know if there's really an answer to this. I imagine it would depend on how you're feeding them, the cost of feed in your area, etc.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
depends on cost of feed in your area, breed of rabbit, success in breeding, litter size, litter survival rate, cost of set up equiptment ect.

someone with a large NZ doe who has a litter of 11, and raises them all, butchers at 10 weeks, in an area where feed is $10 for a $50 lb bag and hay is $3 a bale could do it for pennies a pint.
that sme person with a dutch doe who has a littler of 6 only manages to raise 4, has to wait till 12-14 weeks in an area where feed is $15 a back and $5 a bale...its obviously going to cost more.

id say if I averaged mine out, my rex cost me aproximatly $3-5 a lb to raise to butcher at 12-16 weeks (depending on when I butcher and if im butchering soley for meat or good pelt too.)
to buy in the grocery store its $7.50 a lb....so...

Germangeordie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It really depends on what feed cost in your area and when you butcher them.
For example I don't butcher mine for meat until they are a least 6 month old (usually between 6-8 month), therefore they cost a bit more to feed them then rabbits butchered at 3month. During the summer/fall month they get a lot of greens and fodder crops from the garden and less or next to no food bought from the store.
I also sell some of the rabbits and get between 12-15 Euros per Kilo meat. A 25kilo back of food cost me 10 Euros. At the moment, with selling some of the rabbits, it cost me about 1-2 Euros from raising to butchering them per kilo. If I would not sell some of the rabbits it would be around 5 Euros per kilo that it cost me.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you know how a Euro compares to a US dollar? I know a 25 kilo bag of feed would be close to our 50 lb bag.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks all :) I meant to include but missed the critical phrase "for you".... How much does it cost for YOU to produce it :)

Latest posts