Could we add a butchering section?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I was thinking, maybe it could be in with the hunting and fishing. Alot of us process our own animals and have questions and comments.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think some of the sections should be redone along with new sections.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This would be nice. I am going to have a big rabbit butchering day in 2 weeks. I have a lot of questions.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sweet! TY.

OK. So I off them with blunt trauma to the head and slit throat. Seems to be the kindest thing of my options. They're all calm and cuddled up with me and then it's over.

Skinning is what is giving me trouble. And then cutting the skin away from the butt/tail area? I saw a video on youtube and for the life of me can't figure out how they did that part. And I'm not strong enough to skin it that way.

Once I get the skin off, I'm good.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I like this too, can we include processing of ALL the parts in this?
We just did a deer for the first time and we had lots of questions too.
I found a really cool book on tanning while I was visiting the folks in NY. I had to buy it, even though I was broke.
Of course I found out what I did wrong with my deer hide so far :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We had a really hard time plucking our ducks. I'd love to have a section to go to to search for advice on that topic or similar.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We can't make any promises on if / when changes will be made, but we love the feedback and the ideas, so keep them coming!

Usually what happens with forums:

1) Initial categories and sections are created
2) In time the admins review what is and isn't being discussed (hot topics) and adjusts the categories and sections accordingly.

Usually sections that get a HUGE amount of discussion can be broken up and sections where very little is discussed can be merged.

Again, keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I never know where to post gardening questions... and they're hard to find posts to refer back to.

The post about using CPVC, plastic sheeting and rebar stakes to make a row greenhouse in the garden... was it in Roll Your Own? Or Everything Else (where most garden things are posted)? Or was it in Frugality?

I have no idea, and I need to find out by spring. I'd rather not start a new thread when something has already been discussed.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nifty said:
We can't make any promises on if / when changes will be made, but we love the feedback and the ideas, so keep them coming!

Usually what happens with forums:

1) Initial categories and sections are created
2) In time the admins review what is and isn't being discussed (hot topics) and adjusts the categories and sections accordingly.

Usually sections that get a HUGE amount of discussion can be broken up and sections where very little is discussed can be merged.

Again, keep the ideas and suggestions coming!
A polite "not now."