Could you really grow enough to survive with a family?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I was thinking about this yesterday- I noticed that there were some naked branchs on both my blueberries and my apples- I had just checked them a couple of days before and saw nothing. Turns out to be some kind of army web worm. I spent a couple of hours with my garden books and the internet trying to figure out what these were with no success.
I'm going to by some BT next time over the winter because if they were this bad this late in the year, I can see a real problem next year. I think I might have imported a problem with two new apples I got from a grower down south.
That got me to thinking about how vunerable we are these days. Stuff is shipped from all over spreading it's pests with it- these were California trees from a California nursery which carried the ag approvals neccessary.
With invasions of mean buggies from all over the world, it makes me wonder about losing a whole garden suddenly- something that old time gardeners didn't have so much of a problem with as local pests had local knowledge to combat them.

Maybe the thing to do is variety at all costs- lots of different things. But even that will not do everything as, in the research I did yesterday on this pest, showed a number of new introduced pests that chow down on conifers and deciduous tree- yikes.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read a great article in my Countryside magazine that actually spelled out in 100 ft rows how much of each vegie you would need to plant and harvest to sustain a family of 5 for a year. It was very informative and made me realize if I truly intended to increase my canning, the size of my garden was the first place to start.
I have lived on my 2 acres for 8 years and my garden has gotten smaller in square footage each year with a greater yeild. For me each year I have learned smething new about my soil, pest and what grows best in my area. This past season was awfull, I only had gr. beans, tom, zuccs and squash. But I learned a valuable lesson about ammending wiht chicken poop. I guess what I am tring to say issomething is better than nothing.
I hope next year to be able to put up those tons of jars you all speak of. To use quarts instead of pints and learn how to use a pressure canner. (brand recomendation needed for that one) But I truly think that with a bit of effort one can make a huge difference in their food supply by growing their own.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TH, Would you let me know which issue you found that article in. We just subscribed this summer and ordered
2006 & 2007 back issues. Thanks.

Joe

Gravelcreekfarms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
It is the bane of their existence to have to hear these stories...but true nontheless. :p You ought to hear them groan when they start complaining about "all the work they have to do around here" and I proceed to tell them a normal day in my life at their age....I did more before breakfast on most days than they normally do in a whole week! No sympathy can be wrung from a mom who lived like this when young.... ;) :cool:
This is one of the great joys of having children. You can torment them just like your parents did to you! :D
I certainly hear you about the meats and produce that were put up,and in our case still continue. It is nothing for us to bring in several pickup loads of potatoes,melons,and fruit in.
It's nice knowing how your food was processed and what is in it. Next year were going to take a stab at growing a speciality corn for grinding. We have never ground the grain we have raised and we are excited by the prospect. My dad keeps telling me we need to start doing even more self sufficient stuff now! He' even going to start keeping bees.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Starting on beekeeping this next year, as well! Not only for the use of the honey for sweetener, my homemade beauty products, to sell, etc., but for the pollination of my garden and orchard. I've read that one can expect 50% more yield from crops if one has honeybees. Conceivably that would mean one could plant the same amount of garden and expect a bigger yield.

My folks had bees when I was growing up and I've never tasted better honey since then. It was very dark, sweet and lasted forever(20 yrs.) in the jar with no deterioration. I don't know what kind of pollen they were gleaning, possible white pine and goldenrod, but it was simply the best!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
TH, Would you let me know which issue you found that article in. We just subscribed this summer and ordered
2006 & 2007 back issues. Thanks.

Joe
I'll do my best to track it down. I know it had to be in one of the last three issues. I remember reading it rather recently. I get back to ya. G

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't go out of your way. I'm sure come across it. I plan on reading all of them from cover to cover. Probably more than once. :D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We are expanding our garden next yr to produce as much of our own food as possible. We just grew a small garden this yr, but I still managed to put up some tomatoes, salsa & beets(canned). Not to mention all the zukes I have dehydrated & froze. I had an over abundance of zukes this yr & I gave away tons of it too. We ate it so much I never bought any potatoes until this month.
I think that if you had to rely on your garden to give you everything you need vegiewise it could be done with a lot of hard work by the whole family. But it would be worth it as the food would be more nutritional & not loaded with chemicals or heavily processed(irradiated). Plus the children would have a better knowledge of where food comes from not to mention the satisfaction in knowing they had a hand in helping to keep the family eatting well. And all the exercise that goes along with gardening is good for all of us.
I don't have room here to grow grain crops, but my 40 acres up north I could really be self sufficent only needing to buy salt, sugar(unless I get beehives), coffee, spices, yeast, etc., get the picture? Which would be fine with me.