Cow folk, just curious about this "rescue"

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
They already banned pitbulls in many cities, or make you "fix" them (as if they are broken) and just try to get homeowners insurance, if the insurance company knows you have a "bully" breed.
I have no problem 'fixing' a bully breed dog, unless it's a show or working dog... two million pit bulls died in shelters in the US last year, we really don't need anymore of them until there are homes for the ones already here...

Some cities also have severe restrictions or outright bans on German Shepherd, Rottweilers, Dobermans, American Bulldogs... there's a list of about 25 breeds (most of which are the 'bully' breeds)...

Italy has banned or restricted 40 breeds of dogs (including the border collie)

We applied to be a foster family for kids in need here... we were turned down because we own two pit bulls. Personally I think the boyfriend and I would be great parents, but apparently they worry about our dogs eating the children. UGH...

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with being required to alter my animals to prevent unwanted breeding. It kills me to see so many ads in the paper for puppies, kittens and what have you when there are so many unwanted pets in the world. I think that dog breeders should have to have licenses and be regulated too. It is nothing against the good breeders out there, it is because of places like puppy mills.

As far as my own pets, The only ones that aren't altered are the loco pollo's and the bunny. I've got plans for breeding her and, well, chickens are chickens. We only have hens.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I don't think laws should REQUIRE spaying and neutering.

Personally I DO spay or neuter my animals unless they are truly a healthy, sound, high quality representation of their breed (which does not always agree with show quality - which is sometimes hurtful for the breed and ridiculous. Think dropped hip weak backed show quality German Shepherds or Persian cats that can no longer properly eat or breathe).

I kept my AKC Siberian Husky in tact most of her life, until I considered her too old to breed. I never raised pups from her however since I NEVER found a suitable high quality mate within a reasonable distance. Whenever I DID find a quality male they had already been altered!

It is kind of like gun control laws. The decent honest people register their guns or don't own any. The people who are criminals ALWAYS have plenty of guns. Required spaying does not eliminate the puppy mill.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I don't think laws should REQUIRE spaying and neutering.

Personally I DO spay or neuter my animals unless they are truly a healthy, sound, high quality representation of their breed (which does not always agree with show quality - which is sometimes hurtful for the breed and ridiculous. Think dropped hip weak backed show quality German Shepherds or Persian cats that can no longer properly eat or breathe).

I kept my AKC Siberian Husky in tact most of her life, until I considered her too old to breed. I never raised pups from her however since I NEVER found a suitable high quality mate within a reasonable distance. Whenever I DID find a quality male they had already been altered!

It is kind of like gun control laws. The decent honest people register their guns or don't own any. The people who are criminals ALWAYS have plenty of guns. Required spaying does not eliminate the puppy mill.
:clap
Yes!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that is exactly right. We should keep the right to have our animals intact. Not all need to or should be left intact, but it should be our decision.