Cow in the Field

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was not sure where to post this. Frugality, Do It Yourself, Family. It's kind of all of the above.

My FIL has this idea of sticking a cow in his field. Not only to keep the weeds and stuff down but to put in the freezer. Talk about a sign of the times.

I don't have any experience with keeping a cow. What they eat or how much attention they would need.

I told him I would as you guys.

So this is not a pasture it's my SIL old horse corral area. Hot wire fence on the outside, 3 rail 10 feet past that.

The question is feed.

I think cows should eat grass. Obviously there is nothing but mustard weed. Someone told him cows would eat cheep orchard grass bales. So how much does a cow eat and how often? Can you stick a bale in the field and lave the cow with it or will they over eat?

If so do they have auto cow feeders??

I know very newbie questions.

What do ya think??

g

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What type of cow is he thinking of getting? I'm assuming since the final destination is the freezer that he's thinking about getting a steer - or at least that's what I'd highly recommend.

We have 7 cows and toss a round bale out for them every few days. They won't over eat, but obviously if you allow them to "free feed" like that as opposed to control their diet they'll get as big as they want to get.

The choice of whether or not to supplement grain in addition to hay/grass is up to you and what you want your final beef to be like. We're not against grain/corn and plan on penning up a freezer bound cow shortly before slaughter and putting them on a finishing feed. What kind, I have no idea - the cows are the hubby's deal. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sure we bale orchard grass hay.
cows live on it
cows can consume crappier hay than a horse or goats easily...we use our worst round bales on the cows. they do fine.

what size is this corral? any grazing at all to cut feed and hay requirements? yes the mustard weed won't keep him happy..LOL...Ours are on tons of pasture so we don't supp during summer etc. but do finish on grain short time before slaughter. In summer we do feed a bit of grain about 1 time per week to get them to come to the barn area. Keeps them in reach easily.

yes any good basic hay (hay is more important than grain actually)
no they won't overeat to kill themselves, their guts require alot of roughage
and a little grain if needed to keep him social...you know, to handle him....put out a few good handfuls to keep him happy and coming to you.

ya'll do fine with one cow....that is easy-peasy and enjoy the new critter and learn and enjoy that meat cause it is wonderful and fills up alot of freezer space! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. This is my FIL remember. He wants it low maintenance. His exact words were "I need an auto feeder so I only have to down there every few days". I think overall it's close to an acre. But my sil used to use it as a horse arena. So it was mostly compacted sand. The mustard is just a normal weed for us.

So let's review.

Get a steer.
Feed bales, will not over eat. If we use the small squares here how long would one last?
Can we use one of those bale holders?
How long does it take to feed out a steer?
Grain feed as a treat to keep steer friendly?
Finish on nice grain if that is your choice.

Isn't there some kind of mineral supplement required?

g

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cows are for the most part fairly SS as long as they have grass/hay, water and mineral (salt).

You can supplement their diet with a barrel of lick molasses etc. which takes them a while to consume and be sure to keep the mineral block handy because they need the salt.

Grass is all they really need if it is good, green grass. Cows, as mentioned above, are pretty willing to eat almost any grass/hay.
They are much less picky than horses and their system is MUCH more tolerant of the lower quality of feed. Finishing with corn 2 weeks before the appointment with the butcher will add a little fat to their body but not too much. Don't over feed (grain that is) if they are bred because you don't want the calf to get too big, particularly if she is a first calf heifer.

I have a "round bale" feeder. They waste much less hay that way. They only need hay in the winter because they can get grass at all other times unless there is none to be had. They absolutely WILL OVER EAT grain however! My Daisy did that and I found her dead this past winter. (I cried for days). She got into the feed bin because it had not been properly secured. They will get "bloat" and that will kill them. Be careful with grain!!!

My Hyacinth gave birth yesterday...Hoooray!!! Now Rose is next and then I'll be done with calving for this year. That calf was so cute. (that from a guy?) I was worried at first because I found the calf down a couple of times but I did see her suckle so I know the cow has claimed her and the fact that she didn't charge me when I picked up the calf was a good sign.

Keep the cow on a different piece of land every day. She will "fertilize" it for you and then the chickens can come along behind her and get out all the bugs and stuff. Keep her moving not in just one place all the time. She might get bored and start eating stuff she shouldn't.

Additionally, cattle are herd animals and they do have their own hierarchy. BUT, they are social animals and need company. Be sure to keep that in mind or they will not be happy and you wouldn't want that either.

O yeah, don't forget to talk to them. I know you think they won't talk back but you'll know. How do you think I knew to name my cow Daisy? She told me.

It is particularly important to let them know that you honor their purpose in life which will be to provide their body for your survival. Be kind to them at all times. Show them love, just as you would expect it from another. They will let you know they appreciate your love and care, even in light of the idea that you will be sending them off to be butchered.

Hope this helps.
//BT//
Trim sends

Okie Amazon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't know about your area, but we went to livestock auction last night looking for a calf to put on our 2 1/2 acres and baby bottle calves went for $260.00; calves in the 250-300# range sold for 450.00 and larger steers and some (POSSIBLY) bred heifers sold for 550.00. Cattle are really high right now.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:idunno I really doubt my FIL will ever manage to stick a cow in his field. I just don't see it happening.

But next time I see him I will give him all the info.

I think a better choice for us is to hit the sale barn after the county fair. My niece has done a lamb the past two years. I guess there is a sale board where if the people who by the animals are only doing so to donate to 4H then the animal will sell again on the Board.

Supposedly much cheaper.

Thanks for your help.

g