Cow Shopping

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got processing date of Oct 10 2022 and two Hereford / Angus cross bulls in bands becoming steers. If all is good, they will be delivered Dec 1st. Estimated weight is about 500 lbs each. I'm quite sure winter husbandry of these two steers will be a lot different than CCX chickens I did last year.

I'll also be following up with 2 beef calfs this spring and a late fall 2023 processing date. It'll be so nice to put an end to buying store bought beef.

Lots of planning and replanning, finally starting to come together. Which is so nice.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got processing date of Oct 10 2022 and two Hereford / Angus cross bulls in bands becoming steers. If all is good, they will be delivered Dec 1st. Estimated weight is about 500 lbs each. I'm quite sure winter husbandry of these two steers will be a lot different than CCX chickens I did last year.

I'll also be following up with 2 beef calfs this spring and a late fall 2023 processing date. It'll be so nice to put an end to buying store bought beef.

Lots of planning and replanning, finally starting to come together. Which is so nice.

That sounds awesome, sounds like you will have a steady flow of beef for your family. And yes, maybe a little different than the chickens.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're so right...home beef is sooo much better!! used to raise 6-8 at time. Family got 2-3, others sold and paid for ours. Those days left when DH passed. I've considered raising again, have the pasture but, buying a qtr also works! Only me. Easier.

Two yrs ago I was given about a doz old bale's of hay, tossed into garden area for that use. Was winter, so let animals in the area to clear and fertilize. Not thinking about that old hay!! Couple weeks later, noticed they were eating it. No mulch left! 🤪

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife's crazy quackers are working their best to make me crazy.

So they discovered they can get right through the tube gate. All but the one that doesn't wattle right, that my wife calls Lame Duck.

So I was minding my own business sitting in the cave with my wife. And next thing I know those crazy quackers are quacking at the door. I turn to my wife and say your crazy quackers are looking for you. She said how did they get out? I put them up already.

So here we are, Wife and I in the dark trying to get the quackers back behind the barn and back into the pasture. Wife opens the gate they walk right in. Wife closes the gate and those crazy quackers when right through the gate to follow my wife. Sigh..

Well you already know the guy who had to wire some fencing to the gate in the dark with only lights from farm truck to help him see. The things a guy does for love, it's truly amazing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kroger 92/8 Ground beef, regular $8.99 lb on sale (with Kroger card) $5.99
IMG_20211117_142649530~2.jpg

91 / 9 Ground Beef. Wife didn't see regular price, but reduced from what? To $4.99 lb (with Kroger card).
IMG_20211117_142608822.jpg

This is all ground beef we're talking about, crazy...