CQ CQ CQ This is KI4IGQ CQ CQ CQ

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning fellow HAM's and other interested SS'ers. It has become clear that we are growing in numbers on this forum and since amateur radio will probably be the only form of reliable communication in the event of a serious disaster of any sort (TSHTF) type, it would be good for us to begin to find out what we could do to create a working net. Obviously, we span the country in a wide array and would most probably be able to create a net with repeaters NOW, but in the event of EMP or similar serious disruption of our communication resources, we might want to consider forming a net possibly with simplex but maybe some of us will manage to either save a repeater or repair one if they are destroyed.

I know of at least several of you now; KI4IGQ, (me in South Dakota) K0xxx(Mark in Arkansas), TheFan (Sven in Maine), KI4GOT (very clever call sign by the way but I don't know where you are) and one or two others whose name or call sign I have forgotten or just don't know.

Since we are the most likely members of any local or other group to be "pressed into service" in times of emergency, etc, or just to be certain we don't get lost in the great shuffle it would seem prudent to begin now, rather than try to get something going after much of our equipment has been either fried or damaged in one way or another.
It would seem that this topic fits best in the EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS section so unless someone has a preference for another area/section of SS-f or even a completely different location/forum/email, etc, I propose we begin to form our group here.

To that end I would hope each of you either operating HAM's or even wannbe's or simply interested folks will put your call sign and location here so we can begin to establish a good net. Once we have that, we can see if we could actually begin a scheduled NET comm so we can stay in touch.

Important information would probably include: Call sign, License Level (technician, General, etc) Name (if you wish to share that by PM I'll keep it off the general forum) LOCATION (lat; long) CW capability (or interest) and any special information regarding your rig or experience (military experience a plus here so service name, MOS, rank, etc would be useful but not required. Several of us have either been SF or USMC so in my mind this is a serious ADVANTAGE to our way of operational approach)

Hopefully, we will be able to establish comm here by internet and figure out if we can make it happen in any one of a number of ways, either vox, CW, Computer, etc.

As I said, I have my antenna up, but no rig is attached or energized currently. Should that become useful/necessary I will at least get something working and in use. IF for reasons of OPSEC you'd prefer to supply your information elsewhere please either PM me or send what you want to icu4dzs AT gmail dot com and I will compile it in a more secure manner.

Here is my info:
KI4IGQ / Technician / " Trim" / South Dakota 45.7187: -97.4436 /CW: yes, but very slow (<5wpm) / Icom706Mk IIg; Kenwood TM-D700, Yaesu VX-5/ LCDR (ret) USN Flight surgeon and Hyperbaric Medical Officer, U.S. Army SF 1LT/INF, 91z5S, 91B4S, (1973-1980), HM2/USN/USMC RVN 1967-1973)

The European Union is about to implode. Our economy is not all that far behind. It may be that this is a very important time in history to work together. As they told us so many times before:"Keep your head on a swivel, your butt below grade and your powder dry." As my wise demolition instructor once said "Right then mates, always remember there is no human problem that can not be solved by an adequate quantity of high explosive." The marines had a slightly different approach "When you are at some point, required to take a human life, you will always be sad and have some regret, but it is better to be sad and have regret than to be room temperature".
Crypto would be especially welcome. ROT13 OK?

PRIORITY:URGENT
-.. ---/-. --- -/- .-. ..- --- -/-- --- -.. .../.... . .-. ./-... -/
"Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni"
KI4IGQ
1808_images.jpeg

Trim sends
//BT//

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this thread is meant primarily for experienced users, but for those of us wannabe's, what is the best way to begin? Another thread mentioned a handbook for passing the test. Is there also a good website for obtaining more information? Sorry if this is going OT; I will find the other thread & post there if you wish.

ebg13 vf tbbq jvgu zr.

--. --- --- -.. / .--. --- .. -. -

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why no such thing my dear lady! :woot All are welcome here; especially anyone who WANTS to be here. I'm glad you are here! It's more fun with you around! :clap

Tynq lbh ner urer. Lbh ner ab ybatre n "jnaanor" fvapr lbh unir orra vavgvngrq vagb gur pelcgb pyho ol ZR! Jrypbzr. Lbh pna cbfg urer be naljurer ryfr. Yvxr V fnvq, V qba'g gehfg nal bs gur zbqf urer fb or pnershy va pnfr gurl svther guvf bhg naq trg fanexl!
CEVBEVGL:Ebhgvar
Gevz fraqf
OG

Please stay with us here. One never knows when -- --- .-. ... ./-.-. --- -.. . /.-- .. .-.. .-../ -... . / .... . .-.. .--. ..-.. ..- .-../

Best
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Njjjj, V'z oyhfuvat abj, YBY!

Jryy, vs ebg13 trgf "ohfgrq" jr'yy tb onpx gb bhe byq pbqr...lvxrf...gung'f n fpnel gubhtug... :lol:

Actually this is really good practice -... ..- - / .. .----. -- / ... -.. .-.. .-.. / ... --- / ... .-... --- .-- /
....but practice makes perfect! :D

So do you have any advice on places to get started with HAM? Websites, maybe?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:

Jryy, vs ebg13 trgf "ohfgrq" jr'yy tb onpx gb bhe byq pbqr...lvxrf...gung'f n fpnel gubhtug... :lol:

Actually this is really good practice -... ..- - / .. .----. -- / ... -.. .-.. .-.. / ... --- / ... .-... --- .-- /

Yes, get the book I told you about and study it. That is what I did. It was really easy. You know more about code than most HAM's coming into the hobby now as it is.
... .--. . . -../ -.. --- . .../ -. --- -/ -- .- - - . .-./
.- -.-. -.-. ..- .-. .- -.-. -.-- / .. ... / . ...- . .-. -.-- - .... .. -. --.

Senaxyl, V qbhog nalbar pnerf rabhtu gb "ohfg" EBG13. Ohg, lbh'er evtug. Jr pna nyjnlf tb onpx gb n qvssrerag EBG sbezhyn. V unira'g ohvyg gur jurryf lrg ohg jura V qb, lbh'yy or gur svefg gb xabj.
Abg bar UNZ unf erfcbaqrq gb zl abgr nf lrg. Jbaqre jul?
Jr'yy frr.
Orfg
Qnivq fraqf
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//bt//

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Why no such thing my dear lady! :woot All are welcome here; especially anyone who WANTS to be here. I'm glad you are here! It's more fun with you around! :clap

Tynq lbh ner urer. Lbh ner ab ybatre n "jnaanor" fvapr lbh unir orra vavgvngrq vagb gur pelcgb pyho ol ZR! Jrypbzr. Lbh pna cbfg urer be naljurer ryfr. Yvxr V fnvq, V qba'g gehfg nal bs gur zbqf urer fb or pnershy va pnfr gurl svther guvf bhg naq trg fanexl!
CEVBEVGL:Ebhgvar
Gevz fraqf
OG

Please stay with us here. One never knows when -- --- .-. ... ./-.-. --- -.. . /.-- .. .-.. .-../ -... . / .... . .-.. .--. ..-.. ..- .-../

Best
Trim sends
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1808_images.jpeg
//BT//
YBY

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:

There's a site near me : http://www.baears.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=54
which runs a ham cram and test. I just picked up a Yaesu F60 and have started listening in to the Insomniac Net to get used to the protocols. I'm planning on taking my test in late January and will PM Trim with my callsign then.

And
-- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . .. ... .- .-.. .-- .- -.-- ... .... . .-.. .--. ..-. ..- .-..

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oooh, more code to practice on!! Thanks, Trim & AR!!!

V znl or jebat, ohg V qba'g guvax Znex (x0kkk) vf ba gur fvgr nalzber...? V'ir bayl frra uvz ba AUU yngryl. Abg fher jurer gur bguref ner. Tynq NaanEnira vf wbvatvat hf, gub!!

BTW, I think the idea in your OP, about building a HAM network of fellow SSers, is fantastic. :D Think I will look for the handbook this weekend.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Oooh, more code to practice on!! Thanks, Trim & AR!!!

V znl or jebat, ohg V qba'g guvax Znex (x0kkk) vf ba gur fvgr nalzber...? V'ir bayl frra uvz ba AUU yngryl. Abg fher jurer gur bguref ner. Tynq NaanEnira vf wbvatvat hf, gub!!

BTW, I think the idea in your OP, about building a HAM network of fellow SSers, is fantastic. :D Think I will look for the handbook this weekend.
yes, code practice. The most interesting thing about code is the number of ways you can send it. Light, sound, sighted flags, etc. Only your imagination limits that.

Znex tbg gverq bs gur abafrafr jvgu n ahzore bs gur cvpxl,juval fcbvyrq puvyqera gung znantr gb pel jura gurl frr n qrnq syl. Ur vf fgvyy ba AUU nf ZVN ohg vf ba n srj bgure fcbgf nf jryy,
Qbrfa'g ybbx yvxr gur zbqf unir unq rvgure gvzr be vapyvangvba gb "ohfg" ebg13 whfg lrg, fb nf ybat nf jr pna pbzzhavpngr yvxr guvf, vg'f pbby. Naan vf n irel pbby tvey. V'ir urneq n ybg sebz ure ba gur iveghny pbzzhar fgevat naq fur vf ernyyl fzneg naq "gharq va" ohg fur unf n QU jub guvaxf ur vf ABG vapyvarq va guvf qverpgvba. Fur fbhaqf fnq nobhg vg ohg qribgrq gb uvz fb gung vf n tbbq guvat.
Jnez ertneqf
Q
Imagine crypto and code ? wouldn't that be challenging? That'll be next!
The more the merrier. Talk to us AnnaRaven!!!
Best
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lrf, V'ir frra ZVN ba AUU, rfcrpvnyyl fvapr ur & JM genafsreerq gurve Qbbz & Tybbz guernq gurer - zl snibevgr, YBY! (jrveq, V xabj)

Lrf, V rawbl ebg 13 fb jvyy pbagvahr gb hfr vg hagvy "pnhtug", V thrff...

V'z tynq NE vf pbagvahvat, rira vs vg'f ba ure bja...cnegaref fubhyq nterr ba fhpu guvatf, ohg nf ybat jr bar vfa'g fnobgntvat gur bgure'f rssbegf, V'z pbby.

Ummmm...can I admit to kinda cheating? :/ I mean, if I'm decoding & the first letters of the word are "s p e e -", I can guess the last letter is "d", because what else could it be? Or " a c c u r a - -", I'm thinking "c y".... (don't beat me!!!!) ;)

--- -.- .- -.-- / -- --- .-. . / .-.- --- -.. . / .--. .-.. . .- ... .