Crafts using Recycled Materials

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those would fit right in at my place right now, lol. I love them!

Yes - paint!

cyrhere

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, that's cool! Will you use it for an ottoman, or another purpose?

That was the original plan. But I thought it may not be that comfortable without cushions? it would also be heavy.

Thinking of adding a round glass on top and turn it into a table for the kids to play on. As they like playing on the floor- This would be the perfect height. :)

cyrhere

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is pretty cool.

I saw this on face book the other day. A bit out of my league right now and no where enough time. But I still thought it was amazing. I love art.

recycled%20tire%20garden%20alligators_0.jpg

I don't even have time to draw or paint right now. Heck my garden almost looks like a forrest. Gonna take a weeks vacation soon and get stuff done. And hopefully paint. Yeah. Painting comes before the garden. It's been so long.

Wow. I had to look twice before realizing these were tires. I thought you erroneously pasted the picture or something.

Cool.

Reactions: CJ1

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have seen woman in South Africa using strips of old, or used plastic shopping bags for crocheting very pretty carrier bags, or handbags. There are some tutorials and examples online, here's some:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycle-Plastic-Shopping-Bags-into-Yarn/

I'm always interested to see crocheting in other countries and that is very clever! Not only are the women keeping plastic trash out of the landfill, they are also crafting sturdy, functional items that will last a long time.

As a crocheter, I would have gone broke a long time ago buying yarn for my projects if I hadn't learned to reclaim yarn. Here's a great description of how the process can generate mounds of useable yarn, if you have the time to invest:

THRIFT STORE SWEATER

2210013786_fafbeef2d7.jpg

RECLAIMED YARN

2209220223_1e57202b4d.jpg

https://chaoticcrafter.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/reclaiming-yarn-from-a-thrift-store-sweater/

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, Calista! I just might have to get back into crocheting just so I can do this. :) This is a great time to start watching for end of season deals on sweaters.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a sweater I knitted that is rapidly becoming unwearable now due to my weight loss. I've been thinking I wanted to do something like this since the yarn was a beautiful merino/silk mix and cost a bundle.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a sweater I knitted that is rapidly becoming unwearable now due to my weight loss. I've been thinking I wanted to do something like this since the yarn was a beautiful merino/silk mix and cost a bundle.

Do it! I'd love to see a pic of the finished hanks before you knit them into a new sweater.

Latest posts