Cranberry Jalapeno Pepper Jelly

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
prep 50 min
cook: 11 min
process: 5 minutes

1 1/2 cups cranberry juice (not low calorie)
1 cup vinegar
2-4 medium fresh jalapenos, halved and if desired seeded
5 cups sugar
1/2 of a 6 oz package liquid fruit pectin
5 small fresh red serrano or Thai chile peppers (serves as garnish)

Combine cranberry juice, vinegar and jalapeno peppers in a pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Srain mixture. Measures 2 cups liquid.

In a heavy pot combine the 2 cups of liquid and the sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Stir in pectin and serrano peppers. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Add a serrano pepper to each jar. Wipe jars rims, adjust lids.

Process filled jars in a boiling water caner for 5 minutes. Remove and cool wire racks.

recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Good!

I pour this over a block of cream cheese and serve with table crackers for parties. (It is a pretty pink jelly.)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to experiment with using Pomona's universal pectin since I have a lot of vegetarians who won't eat my jams and jellies with sure jell in them. I need to find a good source of green apples to make homemade pectin with eventually!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made this last year for Christmas. Did a jalapeno jelly and a Thai chili jelly. Everyone got a little basket (dollar store) with two small jellyies, a box of fancy crackers and a cheese spreader knife. I put instructions on how to heat up the cheese as a card. It was a hit and some folks even asked if I would give them another jelly. My hub's aunt said she brushed the jelly on chicken as it was broiling. Said it was really good.