CRAP!!! Pekins hatching THREE DAYS early!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was down there moving everyone, since today is day 25. As I was moving some chicken eggs due to hatch a day after the pekins (wanted them in the back), I kept hearing peeping. I didn't think too much of it, figured I was possibly hearing the guys in the new "coop" room. Well, here, I have 8 pips out of 10 eggs. My temperature has been awesome for me, always at the same exact temp (100F). Last hatch started a day early, which is to be expected from 100F, but, these guys are three days early. I hurried up, got everyone situated, sprinkled some water down on the eggs and closed it up. I hope to goodness that I don't lose this hatch! I really, really want 10 strong, healthy pekin ducks running around!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So long as you sprayed them and got out of there ASAP, I see no issue. I have done the same thing.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But were they early? I'm a meddler, and I tend to get into the hatcher when I'm not supposed to, but haven't had any problems as far as that. However, I'm really worried about their development. I am just imagining ducklings kicking out of the eggs and leaving half their guts behind. :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I don't think it works like that. They must be READY if they are hatching. I am not sure, WBF will have to clarify. BUt I'd just mist them really good and go from there.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
They wouldn't hatch if they weren't ready hun. It could be your thermometer is a smidgen off, and if it is sounds like it is reading a smidgen low if everything is hatching early. Calibrate it, and see if the next hatch is off. You could be getting a degree higher and over time that can make a HUGE difference in hatch time, they'll be early. That's why folks say if they are late give them a couple more days. the mercury isn't always correct ;)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far, three are out, the other five are still taking their time. The remaining two, I'm not seeing any activity in. :/

One thing I did differently with this batch of duck eggs, is I did NOT sprinkle/spritz any water on them, as others swear you have to. Humidity was around 60 or 65% for the entire incubation, no increases after they started to hatch, except for when I opened the door and sprinkled water in the hatching tray to help with the drop that comes with opening the door. It almost makes me want to try scovies next, and see how I pan out there.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty normal hatch to me betta. You always have some that won't hatch, rarely do you EVER get 100% hatch rate in an incubator. I have been hatching for 3 years and have hit that mark only twice. 80% is a GREAT hatch sister!! Scovies are no different ;)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I started out with a dozen eggs. One was infertile, one quit fairly early on, and one quit during my last candle a few days ago. Six are out, one will be out any time now (just needs to kick out) and the other is zipped. 67% hatch rate, which isn't the greatest, but for $2.25, these guys only cost me $0.28/each. Can't beat that price with a stick! Especially when you consider that with six chicks, I actually made my money back that I put into that entire batch. Hitting the auction tomorrow to get rid of the other 31 chicks. They should bring at least a dollar each. Not a lot, but hey, $6 for the eggs, $6 for gas for one trip... I only really have to make $6 to make my money back on these chicks, which is the gas money to get down there tomorrow to sell them. PLUS I have 60+ eggs due to hatch tomorrow, which cost me $8.50 for the 120 (30 went to the fridge), plus the $6 in gas.