Crazy Life!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry I've been gone so long, but life is so crazy right now! I guess I'll start with the good news, then ask my questions at the end...

DH and I applied for a 'couples only' job about 2 weeks ago and after interviewing and patiently pacing the house, we got the job! Its a really long story that I won't bore you all with, but I'll say that we will be moving. Let me re-phrase that...we are keeping this place, but will be living in another state, only to come here for 2 weeks in July, and again at Christmas. We are really excited about this job, and can't wait for January to get here so we can start! lol

So here's what I got going on....

I am a planner. I have lists for lists. So I've been trying to get a time line together, etc, and was wondering if any of you either 'snow bird' or have been away from your home for more than a week or 2. A length of time that required you to do certain things before you left, such as shut off the water, have someone come by, etc.

I've got plans for the normal bills to be debited out...water, elec, mortgage, etc. We are going to arrange to have the yard mown, and the in-laws to drop in and flush a toilet once in awhile. I'll have the mail forwarded, the fridge cleaned out (although left plugged in for the sake of the freezer and its contents) and the heat turned down super low. Am I missing anything? We will have the phone/internet shut off. We are installing new locks and only giving a key to the FIL and BIL. So I think I have it all covered, but was wondering if any of you had any thoughts?

Oh, and the bonus to all of this? We will be in sunny FLORIDA!! woohooo!! Although I am sad that I won't have a garden, or the chickens, I plan on being as 'green' as possible. This job requires we live in motels, but we will be in some areas that we can get the 'extended stay' type and not only be cheaper but I can cook. At that point I plan on buying local as much as possible, and trying not to use much fuel.

So, if you all have any experience or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!! Thanx everyone!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) What kind of job and
2) where do I sign up :gig

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
:lol: Its a company called HCI and they are hired by companies to do hearing tests to stay in compliance with OSHA. We would be assigned a truck that pulls a 5th wheel type trailer that houses the hearing test equipment. They pay for the gas for that vehicle, plus a seperate fuel card for our private car.

I'll let you know when the next opening is, LOL....get your CDL, cause someone in the team has to have it! :coolsun

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW that is a huge change for you. COOL...change is good, like a new adventure! :)

Will you be able to check in with us on another computer? I hope so. When I saw you say, "shut off the internet" I thought, oh no! :(

turn off the water heater. you won't be needing it. might be smart to drain it also.

as long as your in-laws come to the house to check it all should be fine. but be sure they do that for you....cause any small problem, like a stupid leak or something can turn disasterous if not found in a timely manner. So be sure they pop in on a regular schedule if they can! :)

also get yourself a light that is put on a timer. A house with a light on is less likely to attract attention. have the light come on at say 7 and off at 10 or so. just keeps it lived in look.

FLORIDA! I want to be there now!! you lucky gal!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Will you be able to check in with us on another computer? I hope so. When I saw you say, "shut off the internet" I thought, oh no!

turn off the water heater. you won't be needing it. might be smart to drain it also.
Yes, we'll have the laptop so I can check in and tell of my adventures! And thanx for that tip on the water heater...I hadn't thought of that!

Where will your chickies go ?
I currently have them listed on Craigslist and have several hits...hoping to have them sold by the weekend!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Depending on your area, I would have an alarm system, not only for intruders but ours also includes our fire alarms, which would alert the fire department if something were to happen. But I am a little paranoid about that stuff.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
We are waaaayyyy out in the country, if a fire alarm went off, the house would be burnt down before the FD could get here, lol. My BIL has cattle right here at the house, and he and my FIL drive by here every day, several times. Thanx for the suggestion though!! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh cool you will able to log in and chat about the new adventures with us. that will be fun to read about!! :)

I bet you find this sooooo exciting? I would. Something new and different and in FLORIDA! yippee!

when is this all happening???