Cream-top, unhomogenized milk

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I got some milk from Trader Joes. It's cream-top, unhomogenized, whole milk.

Now - what do I do with it? I only have a half gallon cuz I wasn't sure what to do with it.

EDIT:
Okay, so I can separate it into cream and milk. Or I could just buy cream and milk separately...I have a gallon of homogenized milk (DS drinks a lot of milk) and I also have halfnhalf for the coffee.

But is there stuff I can do with this *better* than I can do with regular homogenized milk? I can make yogurt with homogenized. Is it *better* to make with this stuff? Just wondering what the purpose of this stuff is and what, if anything, justifies the extra cost.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can shake it up and pour to use as whole milk. Or you can separate the cream from the top by pouring it off. Then use it as cream and low fat milk. I use a fat separator like this one:

22661-1gravy_fat.jpg

They're made for separating fat from stock for gravy and sauces, but it works great for milk too. There are other styles on the market - smaller, plastic, etc.

Once you have the cream separated you could make fresh whipped cream, use it in any sauce, baking, or other recipe that calls for cream....use it in your coffee. Use the milk as you would any other.

Butter is made from cream of course, but the cream from a half gallon wouldn't be much.

The cream will separate and float to the top each time the carton sits for awhile. Always shake before using unless you want just cream from the top.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Duh! I have a gravy separator and never though to use it to skim off cream * face palm! *

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can freeze the separated cream from each container you buy, then, when you have enough, defrost all and make butter (or ice cream :drool).

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pudding, hot chocolate, lattes, yogurt, cream based soup like cream of broccoli to name a few.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Duh! I have a gravy separator and never though to use it to skim off cream * face palm! *
LOL...you're so funny!

I grew up on a dairy farm with a ton of raw milk everyday. So, it's an unfair advantage.

Here's another one....use a turkey baster to plunge to the bottom of a jug of unhomogenized milk and "suck up" just a half cup or so for use in a recipe where you want low fat milk, or a half glass to drink, etc.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is only a half gallon....personally, I'd just shake before pouring and drink it whole! YUM! (I grew up with dairy animals, a cow and then goats, and to this day I will still shake a carton of homogenized milk! :lol: )

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I put an amazing amount of money into finding foods that aren't so processed I might as well be eating cardboard LOL.

I figure it is well worth the cost because of the benefits :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just mentioning the other day that my DH, who has some respiratory troubles after drinking milk, has less trouble with un-homogenized milk. Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find milk cheaper than at Trader Joe's, which is catering to a "high end" crowd. I don't know how much you paid, but the half gallon of organic non-homogenized whole milk I just bought at Hy-vee (their store brand) was something like $4.88. We don't drink milk at my place though, just use it for cooking, yogurt, the occassional bowl of cereal.

Try looking at a regular grocery store. You'd be surprized (but avoid the Ultra-Pasteurized milks. )