Creative ideas needed!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay--I have left ovr taco seasoned meat. I usually make a mexican rice with it, but th kids are not fans of rice (?), so what othr creative things can I do with this leftover meat?
Mind you--I'm not going to th store--so nachos is out of the question, since I don't have any.
Any ideas??

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have a box of mac and cheese? Just make your mac and cheese and throw the other into it.....believe it or not it is good. Yes I know, shame on me.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Do you have a box of mac and cheese? Just make your mac and cheese and throw the other into it.....believe it or not it is good. Yes I know, shame on me.
No--no boxed stuff here, but I could make it th old fashioned way. Would I add the meat before I popped it in th oven? Or stir it in after? Good idea though, thanks!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would put it in after....but then again, I always made the box kind......NO do not lecture me :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kids like to make the pocket sandwiches out of leftover taco meat. I have one of those sandwich press machines, but you could get creative with a method that would work for you. I take 2 pieces of bread (thin sliced, I use store bought thin :D ) put about 2 tablespoons of meat and a slice of cheddar in between the slices then on the outside we use a little spray butter but you could use non stick spray, they get toasted on the outside like a hot pocket or grilled cheese sandwich. My kids eat 2 or 3 each.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know if kids would dive in....but I would make a monster green salad and top it with the meat.

Every time we make tacos...Tony and Nicole eat the shells, I only put meat on a salad. I love the combo.

All I can truly think of ...but into mac n cheese is a great idea!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Good on pizza. If you're more ambitious, make cornbread only in a larger than usual pan (so it's thinner) -- bake it the normal way til it's cooked -- then remove and cool on rack. Then at dinnertime top with the taco meat and some shredded mozzarella (or whatever) and any other toppings you want, and put it back in the oven as if it were a pizza. Handle carefully, possibly on a cookie rack dpeending on your cornbread recipe, as it is more fragile than pizza dough.

It's good in soup too, especially a thick tomato-containing vegetable soup with a bit of hot-spicy in it.

Oh, and sometimes we just roll it up in warmed tortillas, with appropriate additions, and eat that way, but that might be too much of a 'rerun' from your tacos.

Have fun,

Pat

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Along the scrambled egg idea, I'd do omelets. That's what I do with left over chili too. Mmmm!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I did the cheese and macaroni with the taco meat in it, but I saved some for eggs for tomorrow. ( I had lots--it was a 3# pack of deer burger, and I seasoned all of it)