CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It can certainly can be pricey. This time of year I crave a lot of fresh food so I'm going with that right now. Nothing better than some fresh green beans sautéed with lots of garlic and butter. Or asparagus....or broccoli. Just about anything green is calling my name right now. I think as long as I could have fresh veggies - I could do vegetarian for at least a couple of weeks before I'd crave some meat. I have tons of chickens and fresh eggs - and don't even want to look at an egg right now, lol. Food phases...what can I say?

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Food phases...what can I say?
Ya know honestly I think food phrases can be great! Especially when it's stuff that's seasonally/locally available~ food phases definitely a thing I get lol, been craving cheeseburgers for almost 2 weeks now :/ been trying to stay away from fast food tho, we kinda slipped into a bit of a fast food rut and all 3 of us are suffering for it:(

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woot! At work today it wasn't too terrible of weather stayed mid 90's and even sprinkled just a lil bit. Moved trees today, as well as some piping for the temporary greenhouse and ripped up some old fencing in preparation for the upcoming semester, boy will I be glad when it's all done. this summer was just brutal for a lot of the work we did. Also rescued a dragon fruit cactus from the trash, gonna try to nurse it back to okness or just try to make at least some new cactus to give away and enjoy.
Gonna try to make a few more raised bed boxes for the yard tomorrow morning if I wake up early enough and the weather stays halfway decent. (I'll take some of pics to share too if I remember!) Might also do some fiber cleanup and dye work too ☆◇☆ I gotta get back on track for the 'orchid's I'm working on lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome back!
I do keto also... I've lost 70 pounds, and more to go. It's been long enough that I don't have any real trouble with falling off... at least not too bad... I made some summer borscht and ate a LOT of it, which is a no-no, but at least it wasn't donuts or something.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome back!
I do keto also... I've lost 70 pounds, and more to go. It's been long enough that I don't have any real trouble with falling off... at least not too bad... I made some summer borscht and ate a LOT of it, which is a no-no, but at least it wasn't donuts or something.
Thank you:) sweet! It's cool seeing so manynon keto having awesome results! I've never had borscht, but want to try it someday what should I expect flavorwise?.? Ooooh a donut sounds pretty tasty actually, though I know soon as I have 2 bites my brain ll be like uhm excuse me? This does not taste as good as i remember it lol will definitely say lots of sugar things dont taste the same after doing keto, but honestly didn't eat all that many sweets before anyways

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was talking to a young lady the other day who did KETO for 9 months and lost weight. She went off it and gained back every single pound plus 5 more within 3 months. She says that she will never go back to KETO. I tried the Atkins diet and lost weight, but it was way too hard for me to stay on it.
Kudo's to those of you that can do it.:bow

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was talking to a young lady the other day who did KETO for 9 months and lost weight. She went off it and gained back every single pound plus 5 more within 3 months. She says that she will never go back to KETO. I tried the Atkins diet and lost weight, but it was way too hard for me to stay on it.
Kudo's to those of you that can do it.:bow

I've had that problem with just about every diet I've tried, stick to em for over a year, see no results. Keto is the only one I saw results for but I ended up stalling after about a 20 lb weightloss and having fund issues to keep up with the amount of (easy) keto friendly foods we needed for 3-4 daily. I'd like to go back on it again someday, if for nothing more than just for how good it made me feel. Didn't gain back the weight too quickly after, not sure if its cause I dont really eat a lot of 'junk' to begin with or because I've been even more careful of the foods eaten. I definitely give props to those who can stick with it! Starting was hard, especially learning everything that was to be given up~

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some doctors like the diet, some don't. My doctor doesn't like KETO for long term. She warns of possible health issues for long term "starvation" - unless you are way overweight. KETO is putting your body into "starvation" mode, to use the fat stored in the body instead of the sugars from food for energy.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know about starvation mode dangers, but I do know that it's been over 2 years and my health is better than it's ever been... no cholesterol issues, my A1C is almost to "not diabetic", and blood pressure has been slowly dropping. My doctor is ecstatic. And the first place I lost weight was the belly fat that's supposed to be so bad for you. After the first 6 months or so, I didn't do the extreme, extra-low keto because I just didn't feel comfortable with not having a wider array of vegetables (and their nutritive values) available. I still don't eat grains, sugar, honey, or milk except for cultured milk products (butter, cheeses, kefir, buttermilk, yogurt), and my total carb intake for the whole day tends to be less than what most people have in one meal.

I think that the reason there are so many different diets out there is because no one diet works for everyone; just like there are so many different pain killers available because not one of them is perfect for everyone (for instance, we discovered after surgery that morphine acted like a placebo for my mother but when they gave her hydrocodone it helped with the pain). You have to find the one that works for YOU.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with that @Britesea
There are alot of people who do diets to the extreme. Friends of mine tried KETO - but all they would eat was meat - beef, chicken, cod and lunch meat. I tried to explain that she needed to make sure to eat other things too, like some nuts (one of her kids was allergic so no nuts), leafy greens, and other low-carb veggies. Nope, just meat. She got really weak and felt sick all the time. Now she is eating healthy and feeling much better.