CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welp today was freezer camp day.
Went very... Interesting. To say the least.
Got one rooster done and I don't think it was worth the trouble. It awesome to say I was part of the process start to finish but I think unless I get a meat breed bird I'm not gonna bother with doing it again. So Craigslist post here it goes.
Here's hoping the bunnies will be a better experience :\ which I have not yet gotten word on the buns so may be waiting awhile longer on them as well.

Today wasn't a total waste though, I learned a new skill and that I can do it, albetidly very roughly! Got some fresh chicken and some nice feathers for projects of different sorts, not to mention that knowledge -nod-:clap:confused:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The more often you do that, the easier and faster it will go. I agree with you though, that meat birds make it more worthwhile. I can't believe the difference between our Khaki Campbells (considered a small breed) and the Golden Cascades (a medium breed)- the small ones were tasty but there was barely enough meat to satisfy the three of us while the mediums are giving us a very nice meal.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The more often you do that, the easier and faster it will go. I agree with you though, that meat birds make it more worthwhile. I can't believe the difference between our Khaki Campbells (considered a small breed) and the Golden Cascades (a medium breed)- the small ones were tasty but there was barely enough meat to satisfy the three of us while the mediums are giving us a very nice meal.

I do figure the more often I do it the better it will go, maby its just I'm not used to it but doing the ending was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Though I did get to thank it for its life and the nutrition it would be giving me and those who will participate in eating it. Which makes it easier. I kinda did a little research and found the kind I have (black copper marans) are not good meat birds. Their more... Show bird I guess? I'm trying to locate new homes for them via Craigslist. If I can't find any in two weeks I'm gonna have to do it to the rest of them, since I do have neighbors to consider on the early morning noise level. To be honest I'm surprised no ones complained about them yet honestly.... We've had 5 roos crowing for about three months now. Usually starting about 330 or 4 and nonstop till round noonish. :idunno
So hopefully i can find new homes! :fl

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, if you didn't find it difficult to do, I would worry about your lack of empathy.

You might try going around to your neighbors and talk to them about your noisy birds-- you know, apologize for the crowing and how you are looking to find new homes for them. You never know, they might not be minding the noise at all (especially if they have good double glazed windows, the noise level really goes down). Or they might know of someone that would like them. At the very least, it will let them know you are trying to take care of the problem so they don't do a slow burn thinking you don't care.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey, if you didn't find it difficult to do, I would worry about your lack of empathy.

You might try going around to your neighbors and talk to them about your noisy birds-- you know, apologize for the crowing and how you are looking to find new homes for them. You never know, they might not be minding the noise at all (especially if they have good double glazed windows, the noise level really goes down). Or they might know of someone that would like them. At the very least, it will let them know you are trying to take care of the problem so they don't do a slow burn thinking you don't care.

True, true. Some of the neighbors I am fairly certain don't mind much, as I live in an area by a school. So I think many parents welcome the early mornin, I'm keeping an ear out for complaints anyone might have. I think I may just have over sensitive ears. Because when you stand on the street you can't even hear them :/

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bought some stuff to make lip gloss this morning! Should have most of it by the end of the month if not in the next couple of days! Another home diy I'm excited to try :)

Tonight I'm gonna try to hit up a few thrift stores for sugar scrub containers aswell as some halloween costume stuff and start making/collecting Christmas gift stuff for this year.
Gonna be lots of homemade stuff this year! :)

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So today got some calls on the b.c.M's and an email. Two of the three was asking about eggs.... Mybpost reads nowhere about eggs being available. Just bcm roosters.... So not sure where the eggs cone in. Anyone else have this problem when they set up a Craigslist for birds their yryingn to find new homes for??

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've gotten worse, lol. I think sometimes there is a language barrier, sometimes people just hope you've got something else for sale, and sometimes they just flat don't read it right. Hope you get 'em sold!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've gotten worse, lol. I think sometimes there is a language barrier, sometimes people just hope you've got something else for sale, and sometimes they just flat don't read it right. Hope you get 'em sold!

We did!! Thy guy really wanted miss peahen, our only bcm hen out of 6 chicks (he wants to breed them/ believes a hen needs a rooster to lay eggs) And there definatly was a language barrier as he spoke very broken English.
Lol he really wanted to know when we'd have 12-18 eggs because he wants to incubate them, I had to explain several times that the eggs will not be fertalised as he was buying our roosters.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So now all our roosters are gone :) and peace will return until the ducks become obnoxious lol >,<
And we now questionably will have a guy calling about fertalised brown chicken eggs to incubate... Even though we explained no rooster equals no fertalised eggs. :rolleyes: :hu
Lol, I hope everyones doing well and keeping safe!!!

Latest posts