CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good evening everyone!
Hope you are all doing well and keeping warm!
It's been pretty cold out recently here. Got some sprouts on my seed table-chamber :D

Also finally getting some carrots from the garden!! :D. Been sketching out some ideas for a new coop, likely will be starting to work on that soon~

Off to start cooking dinner, I'll be back soon :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What you sprouting? I've harvested lentils, alfalfa. Have mung beans that need to be harvested. started some adzuki. Trying some sunflower microgreens, have harvested oat and barley sprouts for the chickens. I have a bowl full of home harvested kale seed that I may sprout of microgreen for myself/chickens.

Some of the stuff is crazy fast: mung sprouts in 3 days!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What you sprouting? I've harvested lentils, alfalfa. Have mung beans that need to be harvested. started some adzuki. Trying some sunflower microgreens, have harvested oat and barley sprouts for the chickens. I have a bowl full of home harvested kale seed that I may sprout of microgreen for myself/chickens.

Some of the stuff is crazy fast: mung sprouts in 3 days!

I'm starting tomatoes and peppers for spring currently, I still need to add eggplants. Later gonna add more, thinking...
Beans- bisbee black eyes, green and a cool stripey pink one
Squash- zuchinni, a round variety and some long type, mayby a grey
Melons- watermelon varieties
Cucumbers- I know they dont transplant too well all the time but going for it lol. Pickling and Armenian
Herbs and flowers too
Guaranteed I've forgotten something lol but that's most of the starts :D

I like to do the sprouts for eating in the kitchen in a canning jar, still learning on that end. Last try I ended up with a jar so packed in sprouts I couldn't get them out 🤣

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had an old one, some of the trays were cracked. found an identical one at the "town mall" (AKA: town dump recycle building.) Looked like it had never been used. Bought a new one recently, so now I have 8 functioning trays. 2 different brands with different draining mechanics, slightly different sizes, but I can make them stack together ok.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello hello!
Hope everyone has been well!

Started a new semester of class, sorry for the radio silence.
Got some seeds sprouting up and we've been buying stuff up to get the rows in the front rolling along. Still need to get some fencing stuff decided but a bit at a time yay!

Got to start breakfast for housespouse, I hope everyone is well!

Attachments

• 20200113_114519.jpg
    20200113_114519.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 262

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It has been a very busy last few days, still not done entirely yet with the layout but finally seeing progress on the front garden!!! :woot I wanted to wait and show off the 'finished' result but just cant contain my excitement!

Attachments

• 20200123_112513.jpg
    20200123_112513.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 277

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I see "neighbors -- so I assume you are in a development setting Have you had any push back from a front yard garden? Or crop losses? At least it's close to tend and pick. :D

Years ago, I lived in a condo and rented a small garden area nearby. One where you got a plot for the season, and others surrounded you. Well, it was pre tilled and a great place. Did that for several years and then, one year, we had a rascally thief. Several of us kept watch. Never found "who". Now, I share but, when you cut ALL my collards before Tksgivng?? Not happy. None of us were. LOL