CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to live in town and gardened in my front yard. I planted mostly root vegetables towards the street to confuse would be thieves and tomatoes up by the house. LOL
Your garden is looking good. Those carrots! Beautiful!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to live in town and gardened in my front yard. I planted mostly root vegetables towards the street to confuse would be thieves and tomatoes up by the house. LOL

@baymule Thank you! I'm hoping for no thieves, but I suppose as long as their considerate, dont damage my garden and pull some of the dang weeds I might look the other way. More so I'm hoping to entice others into doing the same to their yard, with luck there will be at least a few more gardeners this year.

your garden looks amazing. feels good, doesnt it?

@Chic Rustler Thank you! It really does feel good, itll feel even more amazing when I'm feeding my family from the rows 🧡

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We might be getting chicks tomorrow and our coop set up this weekend! Yaaay!!!

I think it only took seeing how expensive eggs were this week to get housespouse on board. We usually buy 15 dozen from a resteraunt store for around $15- $20..... this weeks eggs were $35! The other sizes were upwards of $50- it was really startling!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We might be getting chicks tomorrow and our coop set up this weekend! Yaaay!!!

I think it only took seeing how expensive eggs were this week to get housespouse on board. We usually buy 15 dozen from a resteraunt store for around $15- $20..... this weeks eggs were $35! The other sizes were upwards of $50- it was really startling!

the quality of homegrown is second to none. and chickens are fun too!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know everyone is buying more but, REALLY those hens lay every day -- especially the commercial breeds. The price seems out of line.

I do like my chickens and collecting eggs. Need to eat more than one or two a month though! :D Yes my customers love these free range ones -- especially when they have to use those store bought ones. Such a taste comparison!! LOL

I LOVE your garden.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the quality of homegrown is second to none. and chickens are fun too!
@Chic Rustler there really is no comparison, I've missed chickens and super fresh eggs

I know everyone is buying more but, REALLY those hens lay every day -- especially the commercial breeds. The price seems out of line.

I do like my chickens and collecting eggs. Need to eat more than one or two a month though! :D Yes my customers love these free range ones -- especially when they have to use those store bought ones. Such a taste comparison!! LOL

I LOVE your garden.

@Mini Horses it kinda does, and eating up the eggs won't be a problem, we usually end up buying another 15 dozen every week or week an a half
Thank you :) I'm hoping to expand through the backyard better too and some more in that area

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sis hasnt been on here in some time and hoping today's not the day she does pop on lol. Today we got.......

20200402_124425.jpg

Chicks!!! 🧡 I didnt realise how much I had missed having the little feathery dumpsters around! Housespouse stopped by the TSC near his work and got lucky, they just brought in a load.
Barred rocks, welshsummer, Russian orloffs
The Welsh's are indexed, the rocks and Russians are girls

Also got a suprise for sis.....
20200402_124437.jpg

Some ducklings! No idea what kind, but I know shes missed her quackery. And hoping she likes the suprise! With luck we got one female, one male.

Some new enjoyment for our suburban farm 🤣🤣

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for the chicks and ducklings! I gardened for years in my front yard and had hens in the backyard. That chicken compost sure made the garden grow. LOL

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

I also should add for my earlier reply of theives, I'm growing varieties most peoples dont know or have ever seen towards the front rows.

Like black krim tomatoes, armenian cucumbers, few people like zuchinni or squash and when they get going are prolific enough I might not even notice a few missing(I will, but wont consider it a huge loss so long as I get at least a few each week)
Beans I'm growing dry varieties up towards the front and borletto so they dont look like common varieties. Once it's big enough I'm gonna grow some kale and chard too.

My current main problem is keeping the stinking outdoor cats outta my friekin rows