CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I lived next to a cat hoarder who also fed all the feral cats. There would be 40+ in her driveway for feeding time. They sprayed on my house and porch, crapped in my garden, I hated them and her! I stuck plastic forks, tines up, in the garden. The cats didn't like getting their tooties stuck by fork tines and stayed out.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler there really is no comparison, I've missed chickens and super fresh eggs

@Mini Horses it kinda does, and eating up the eggs won't be a problem, we usually end up buying another 15 dozen every week or week an a half
Thank you :) I'm hoping to expand through the backyard better too and some more in that area

that is a lot of eggs! we don't eat eggs every day and so we don't go through that many a month, but they are nice to have on hand. the time we use the most eggs is when Mom gets to making cookies, cakes, etc.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know everyone is buying more but, REALLY those hens lay every day -- especially the commercial breeds. The price seems out of line.

I do like my chickens and collecting eggs. Need to eat more than one or two a month though! :D Yes my customers love these free range ones -- especially when they have to use those store bought ones. Such a taste comparison!! LOL

I LOVE your garden.

My take on it: with folks out of work, and restaurants closed, more people are actually cooking meals and eating at home. Thus... the need for more eggs, b/c eggs are just about the cheapest protein source available... not to mention: they are so easy to cook. And... there's a limited supply of eggs! Not like they can simply tell the hens to produce more! I'm struggling with the need to raise my egg prices. Feed prices are up, and I'm not covering my expenses. Hate to raise prices now... but... on the other hand, I can't take a financial hit, either.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our hens are just barely getting going. We went from an average of 3 a day last month to 5 a day now.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I lived next to a cat hoarder who also fed all the feral cats. There would be 40+ in her driveway for feeding time. They sprayed on my house and porch, crapped in my garden, I hated them and her! I stuck plastic forks, tines up, in the garden. The cats didn't like getting their tooties stuck by fork tines and stayed out.

🤢🤮 I can just imagine the smell-
There is a couple across the street who have several strays but i look the other way mostly because they've taken all the strays in the area, caught and fixed them, found a lot of them homes too, these are just the last few they havent found homes for. Theres a few house cats I know are house cats (in my opinion stupid to let them go outdoors) that irritates me more.

Housespouse and I have been looking for an auto sprayer, so they can get spooked when they get in the yard. (I will use the plastic if need be, but would rather not If I can)

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is a lot of eggs! we don't eat eggs every day and so we don't go through that many a month, but they are nice to have on hand. the time we use the most eggs is when Mom gets to making cookies, cakes, etc.

Housespouse loves eggs, they could eat eggs morning noon and night if I let them lol.
I'm good with occasional eggs and baked goods

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We eat a minimum of half a dozen every morning, since that's DH and DS' favorite breakfast. And then there is baking...

Lol, a group breakfast uses at least a dozen, closer to a dozen and a half. Plus potatoes, toast, some sort of meat.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Housespouse loves eggs, they could eat eggs morning noon and night if I let them lol.
I'm good with occasional eggs and baked goods

i like them all sorts of ways but i don't eat a lot of them. i have found out recently though that i don't really like them in tuna salad. Mom has gotten on this kick the past year or so where she's been adding them and i'm kinda meh about it. which is funny since i normally eat about anything. i guess it is because i like egg salad sandwiches and if she uses the eggs up in tuna then i don't get any egg salad. i've been making my own egg salad. now though more than anything i eat boiled eggs with hot sauce on them as a snack and so that avoids a lot of extra calories from the mayo/MW/bread.