Creme D'Mentia

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this?

Jim Duke's Creme D'Mentia

Mix 1/2 pint of 80 proof vodka with 1/2 pint water. Add 1/4 fresh lemon, 4 T. rosemary leaves, 6 T. lemon balm leaves, 4 T. peppermint leaves, and 2 T. sage leaves. Add sugar to taste. Steep 3 days. Enjoy!

I don't have all the fresh stuff at one time, but I bet some of you do.

http://blog.targethealth.com/?p=13655

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds nice. I dont know if it would make it 3 days in my fridge. I might need to taste check it at regular intervals.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would be inclined to make this without the added water, and dilute when using, with tonic water or seltzer. As fresh herbs aren't always available I might make a larger amount, and not having the extra water would make it less likely to go bad, I would think.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought some vodka yesterday, and intend to harvest the herbs today. Spearmint instead of peppermint, as that is what I have, but I imagine it will taste good even so. I like herby tasting things, and now that the weather is finally warming up this should be a nice refresher, with tonic and ice.

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I bought some vodka yesterday, and intend to harvest the herbs today. Spearmint instead of peppermint, as that is what I have, but I imagine it will taste good even so. I like herby tasting things, and now that the weather is finally warming up this should be a nice refresher, with tonic and ice.
And what a great way to preserve mental health! Would you post up your results? Thanks.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gallina Vecchia said:
ORChick said:
And what a great way to preserve mental health! Would you post up your results? Thanks.
:lol: I just mixed it up 5 minutes ago - just in time for a herby vodka tonic on Friday evening ;). I filled a quart jar with sprigs of all the herbs (spearmint instead of peppermint) equaling approximately the given amounts, and added a heaping Tbls. of honey (probably about 2 flat Tbls), and then covered it all with vodka. Its on the counter now, and I will try to remember to shake it a couple of times a day for the next few days. And then ... Cheers! I'll let you know how it turns out. Hmm, this might make an interesting Bloody Mary.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cheers! I am sipping the vodka tonic now. It smells nicely of mint, but I don't detect much of the other herbs. And, disappointingly, I don't taste them much either. Between the honey and the tonic I taste mostly just *sweet*, which isn't to my taste. Its not cloyingly sweet, like a liqueur, but it is noticeable. I think I might try it in a Bloody Mary next. I will also leave the herbs to steep for awhile longer. Next time, if there is a next time, I would use more herbs, probably a larger piece of lemon, and less honey. (Lemon! I forgot the lemon slice for the drink; maybe that will help - **runs off to slice a lemon**)

ETA: The lemon does help :)