critters under our deck and connecting porch, how to deter them?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
fence it off
go to your local hunting supply an dpick up bobcat or coyote...wont keep your dogs away but it WILL deter anything "prey sized" (raccoons possum ect) if they belive a bobcat or coyote is living in the area...but fencing off is the only sure fire way.

mothball are hit or miss...they do seem to work for snakes, if using moth balls, take the mesh bag onion come in, stuff some in there and hang it under the deck, keeps them off the ground and makes them much more environmentally frinedly.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
fence it off
go to your local hunting supply an dpick up bobcat or coyote...wont keep your dogs away but it WILL deter anything "prey sized" (raccoons possum ect) if they belive a bobcat or coyote is living in the area...but fencing off is the only sure fire way.

mothball are hit or miss...they do seem to work for snakes, if using moth balls, take the mesh bag onion come in, stuff some in there and hang it under the deck, keeps them off the ground and makes them much more environmentally frinedly.
WOW! that must be some kinda of hunting supply if they keep bobcat or coyotes on hand.. ;):lol:

(sorry. just had to ya know)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
doh..Urine...i meant bobcat or coyote urine...
lol.
its been a long day and ive done nothing!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Red pepper is supposed to be skunk and coon deterrent. Shotgun is all kind of pest deterrent. Moth balls...well that'll probably scare the moths away at least.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
doh..Urine...i meant bobcat or coyote urine...
lol.
its been a long day and ive done nothing!
It has been a long two days for me and I know tomorrow will be another.. but that post just made my day! :lol:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My parents had the neighbors' cat using their front flower bed for a potty. It could get under the steps and avoid detection. I cleaned the area out (lots of cat poo) found some very large wood mulch, big chunks about 2 X 4 inches.I sperad that around everywhere, pretty thick, so the cat would have to walk over unsolid footings, and not have nice soft dirt to scratch in. Then I sprinkled about a pound of bulk red pepper flakes down around the area. That kept them out pretty good.
I think I had tried mothballs before that. They stunk the place up pretty bad. But I know people use mothballs for snakes. Years ago, there used to be big cans of snake repellent for sale. It was basically ground up mothballs, to sprinkle around the yard or shed.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oy! Urine will help! But human urine is better. Get a guy to mark his territory around the porch. Truly will help. :D

We were told to use fabric softener to keeps skunks away. Ol timer told us to spray liquid fabric softener around the fence line close to the house, reapply after it rains. :hu

I agree, put up some stout fencing to keep 'em out. Then starting marking your territory. For gals, it's easier to whiz in a can first. JMO :lol: