Crock Pots

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am a crock pot nut---maybe not as nutty as some, but I do own 6 and I window shop--DO YOU KNOW THAT THEY MAKE A DOUBLE-CROCK!! But it's $70, and I don't really have a use for it...

Anyway, have you noticed that your crock pot burns some foods when you leave cook on LOW all day? Anybody own one that doesn't do this? I'd like to know. :caf

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My mini rival crock pot burns EVERYTHING!!! I hate it. My big Hamilton Beach has a warm setting as well as a low and high so I don't have burn issues.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. The last crockpot I bought gets really, really hot on the OUTSIDE but never really cooks what's INSIDE. (sigh) I love crockpot cooking but the last couple of crockpots I've had weren't so great. Thinking about buying a big electric roaster instead.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Funny, I was just reading a library book of slow cooker recipes and the authors specifically said that Rival crockpots are not to be trusted because of tending to burn things even at low settings. I was wondering whether this was true, as I've never owned a Rival brand one and don't tend to leave stuff in the cooker for 8+ hours anyhow... sounds like maybe it is true?

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a stainless steel rival with a crock insert. I LOVE it. :love The only problem is that it is too small! (I found extra crock inserts at Goodwill that double up as fermenting crocks, but I found out they also fit into my crock pot...yea for me!)

I usually only use the low setting b/c I like to set it and forget it for a good long while.

I use mine about 4 times a week never burned one thing...AND it came from Goodwill.

:hu

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have two Rival Crockpots. One is a 3 quart size and the second is a bigger 5 quart "Smart pot". The big crock pot has two different crocks that came with it a normal large crock and a double crock to cook two dishes at one time.

I really like the "smart pot" the best it was well worth the money I paid for it. You can set the pot to cook for a certain length of time (like 2 hours on High) then it will beep and automatically go to a hold warm setting. You can also choose the warm setting and it acts like a cooler Low than normal.

I do not notice them getting too hot - as long as there is plenty of moisture in the pot when cooking.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have heard complaints about the newer crockpots not doing the job as well as the older models. Burning food being one of the complaints I have heard. Mine is probably 30 years old and still works like a charm. I am dreading having to purchase a new one anytime soon. They are definitely not making them like they use to. The cheaper models are also not as well insulated as the more expensive models and therefore do not work as well. (I know, my stepson gave me one of the cheaper ones for Christmas) I would never leave the house with that thing even on the low setting. Everything would be burned and nasty by the time I got home.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I have two Rival Crockpots. One is a 3 quart size and the second is a bigger 5 quart "Smart pot". The big crock pot has two different crocks that came with it a normal large crock and a double crock to cook two dishes at one time.

I really like the "smart pot" the best it was well worth the money I paid for it. You can set the pot to cook for a certain length of time (like 2 hours on High) then it will beep and automatically go to a hold warm setting. You can also choose the warm setting and it acts like a cooler Low than normal.

I do not notice them getting too hot - as long as there is plenty of moisture in the pot when cooking.
Oh, I would love one like that!!!!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I love my crock pot, I use it about 3 times a week. It's a Rival with a removeable crock that I recieved as a wedding present years ago, so I don't know how much it cost.

I usually add a lot of extra moisture to it because I am constantly forgetting it an only remembering 6-8 hours later. So far I have never burned anything though. (knock on wood:D)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
2dream said:
I have heard complaints about the newer crockpots not doing the job as well as the older models. Burning food being one of the complaints I have heard. Mine is probably 30 years old and still works like a charm. I am dreading having to purchase a new one anytime soon. They are definitely not making them like they use to.
Isn't that the truth?!? We are already replacing appliances that we bought only 6 years ago! I would rather pay a lot more and have some quality.