cross post,,, help with yougurt please

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I make alot of yougurt.
got a gallon of fresh milk yesterday. Heated slightly to temp of salton yougurt maker, cutlutred,, and it has not set this morning.
suggestions? reheate to a higher point?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Stupid obvious question but did you add the culture? Was your culture fresh, as in not old?

Is the mixture warm when coming out of the yogurt maker?

I don't think I would reheat, but probably add more culture.

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
culture was frozen cubes, which I have used for years with sucess, ( cubes only 1 week old) medium was warm.
added more culture, now have soft set after 7 hours.
will let set for another 12 hours.

mom suggest I have worn out my yougurt maker,, one , two batches awek for 19 months......
but worked perfectly last week.
why does fresh milk set up so slowly?
this was high fat milk,,, which is my favorite.....

curious,,, now I have a constant source of milk ,,, so a new learning curve.....

cheers and thanks

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have only made yogurt with skim, so can't comment ont the fat content. If your concern is the yogurt maker, put a towel over top while it is "cooking" that will help retain the heat. make sure it is not in a drafty area. the only (almost only) time I have trouble is when my culture is not fresh. or I didn't add enough.

my last yogurt makes was about 20 years old and I made alot of yogurt over the years. Replaced it b/c the lids and a few of the cups were finally broken. I used it for 15 years, and I got it from my grandmother who had it for a long time. So of course I can't agree with wearing it out.

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well , my milk must have been hotter than I thoght.
I recultured and got a lovely thick yougurt 10 hours later....
hurrah for real milk from the cow,, it made themost incredible yougurt,, this could be creme franche,,,,,
thnaks to all
cheers

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to make yogurt with fresh milk! Sounds delicious! Do you have a cow? I usually stick a thermometer in to check the temperature before I add the culture.

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I cheat and do not use a thermonter, I just do it by feel..I am getting milk from one of my clients that has a guresey , ,, and four goats that will have babies in the next few weeks.

I want to boost my immunue system with goat milk,,,, I got posion oak two years ago that was horrible... and my sister has allergies.

since the goats eat a lot of weeds,,,it acts as a natural immune system boost
cheers

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have thought of getting goats for making goat milk yogurt. I can't do it where I am living now. Sometimes cow milk bothers me and I switch to goats milk for a while but it is expensive here. Plus yogurt is supposed to easier on your body than plain milk.

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I only eat yougurt,,,, actually drank 4 oz of this milk,,,, adults do not have the correct enzemes to digest milk in any quantility,
chers