Crown of Thorns Journal- Wood Cook Stove Challange

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
If you have soft wheat, then you certainly do not need to add gluten to it. The soft wheat makes a fabulous bread on its own.
Hmm I always thought it would be too crumbly, but I'll definitely give it a try!

A great reminder! I always used to use Bread in 5 Minutes a day recipe and totally forgot about that! Thank you BB!

I'd love to see other recipes too if anyone has them. Maybe some "fancy" ones with milk and honey?

ETA: Reading the article that bread sounds scrumptious, but I don't see a recipe?

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK I finally read the end of the article after rereading the beginning 3 times to find out where I missed the recipe! Hehe I guess I'll have to go on the 1/4 tsp yeast and 42% water and figure out the rest from there. :)

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK so maybe it's not completely authentic Alaskan Sourdough, since my sourdough comes from a chain that came across on the wagon trails west. But it sure does taste yummy!

After 6 months of 100% neglecting my starter in the fridge I figured I probably killed it. But I thought I would try to revive it, since my husband and I both recently have had mild reactions to unsprouted wheat. :tongue

Per the advice of the helpful folks on this forum I saved only 1 TBS of the old starter and made a new batch. It didn't smell like sourdough, but like apple cider. Interesting. :) But it worked! My sourdough is still alive and kicking and to prove it this morning I made real Alaskan Hotcakess from a neat little book I have, Alaska Sourdough- The real stuff by a real Alaskan. By Ruth Allman.

The story of how I got this book it pretty funny. One evening my mom gave me a pretty good sized stack of cookbooks that she no longer wanted, so that I could sort through and see if I wanted any. I didn't have time at the moment to sort through them, and the only place that could "neatly" hold that large of a stack was near the ceiling. Out of sight, out of mind....

6 MONTHS later my brother comes home from a local bookstore and excitedly tells me about one of his finds, the before-mention sourdough book. I look through it and get pretty excited too, I had just sent off a letter requesting a free sourdough starter, and would be receiving it within a few weeks. So I proceeded to hand copy just about every recipe in the book. After a number of hours I finish, and stretching I look up and see my very dusty bookshelf and decide to dust it. Of course that means bringing down all those cookbooks, and what do I find in those cook books? My very own copy of the Alaska Sourdough book.... :barnie

Hehe oh well without further ado, the best hotcakes you ever had.

2 C sourdough starter
2 Tbs Sugar
4 TBS oil (I used melted butter)
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt

Stir these ingredients together. When you are seconds away from putting the batter on the griddle gently fold in 1 scant tsp baking soda that has been diluted in 1 TBS water. Do not beat. Bake on hot griddle until seal brown. *Use 1 full tsp if sourdough is very sour.

They didn't taste like something made from sourdough. They were SO yummy I had to share them with my family, and best of all they are "sprouted", so no tummy troubles. :)

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For anyone who is interested, it took 22 Cups of kelp in 11 days for my five Nigies to become "satiated". For the first time in 11 days I went out this morning and there was still kelp in the pan. Whew! I was beginning to think they were going to eat up my 50lb in a month or two! :lol:

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
here :lol:
http://www.aresrocket.com/bread/
I thought for sure that was the article I got my recipe from :rolleyes:
I made that bread a couple days ago.... THANK YOU! The BEST no knead bread EVER! I REALLY disliked the flavor of the bread in five minutes a day, it was too yeasty. This is really nice tasting, but make sure you add in the larger amount of salt! The smaller amount is too little, it was very bland tasting. I printed the recipe out from www.smittenkitchen.com because this one wouldn't print out correctly for me.

I currently have a double batch going, both Hubby and I are very pleased with it. It's SO easy for me to make. Tasty (really tasty with butter!) and it's "sprouted"!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
For anyone who is interested, it took 22 Cups of kelp in 11 days for my five Nigies to become "satiated". For the first time in 11 days I went out this morning and there was still kelp in the pan. Whew! I was beginning to think they were going to eat up my 50lb in a month or two! :lol:
That shows how deficient our hay is up here :(

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
here :lol:
http://www.aresrocket.com/bread/
I thought for sure that was the article I got my recipe from :rolleyes:
I made that bread a couple days ago.... THANK YOU! The BEST no knead bread EVER! I REALLY disliked the flavor of the bread in five minutes a day, it was too yeasty. This is really nice tasting, but make sure you add in the larger amount of salt! The smaller amount is too little, it was very bland tasting. I printed the recipe out from www.smittenkitchen.com because this one wouldn't print out correctly for me.

I currently have a double batch going, both Hubby and I are very pleased with it. It's SO easy for me to make. Tasty (really tasty with butter!) and it's "sprouted"!
Your welcome :)
I wish I could still eat it....even hubby is having trouble with gluten.
There is family history and he is certain of it for himself, because his blood sugar will sky rocket and take rather large amounts of insulin to get it back down.

I hope to work further on gut healing for us over the next winter, as I hope to put up quite a bit more ferments then I have in the past.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
As far as gut healing goes, I have been reading up on the GAPS diet.
Yes, good route to go. Sadly, its financially out of reach for us.
I have to make do.