Cruddy Cold that Never Ends

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've had a cold for more than 2 weeks. Ugh. I have runny nose - but only post-nasal drip, sore throat, some dry cough, sore swollen lymph nodes and swollen tonsils.

The post nasal drip is so bad that I snore and wake up from the snot vibrating in the back of my nose/throat. Gross.

Needless to say no one is sleeping well.

I take 10 mg loratidine everyday due to congestion from another medication. I cannot take benadryl because of a drug interaction. I'm pretty sure I can't take zinc, but I don't think it would work after the cold is already started.

Ideas?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
garlic pills, and chicken noodle soup, and peppermint, hot tea with honey and ginger, ummm...there's lots more but I can't think of them right now.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Same here, I feel ya!! Try a coldbuster from jamba juice if there are any in you area, they always help me! Start on some vitamine C!

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe some elderberry syrup will help.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My son just came down with a doozy today too, I'm making him some turnip syrup.
It won't be ready till tmo though so in the mean time it is ginger tea with honey

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All I have to say is OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT.

My Auntie recommended my dh take it when we were fighting cancer. I bought some and he of course refused.

All three of my kids are going through Strep right now. When ds came down with it last week I felt my glands on one side swell. I can not get sick. So I started one in the morning one at night. Yesterday both girls went to the doc. Both came back positive for strep. :he

So far so good, I am still healthy. I have no more sore throat, swollen glands or congestion and I am still taking the Olive leaf.

My new fav!!!

g

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't had a cold all winter...how weird.
But I have really been faithful about taking extra Vit C. I thought I was just starting to get the crud, so I took C every hour. Next day I was fine....well, other than loose poo's from too much vit C. :lol:

Even though you don't have strep symptoms, you can be the carrier. I had a friend with an in home daycare. Strep just went round and round, she got it a lot. Her doc told her it was her own 12 yr old son (who never had symptoms) who was the carrier. Both her kid's had their tonsils out, and that took care of it.

You have my sympathies. I hate being sick.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought I had heard of and read about every anti-viral, immune system building, enery boosting, hypertension fighting supplement out there, and now you tell me about olive leaf extract. I wonder why I have not come across it till now? TanksHill, can you tell us more about olive leaf extract and what other benefits you get from it? Thanks...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne, let's hope the buck, or bug stops here. I would hate to be a carrier of anything.

SoLucky, I honestly don't know too much. I remember my Aunt recommending it as well as Grapefruit Seed extract. She wrote a long list of beneficial things my dh should take. He was diagnosed with oral cancer. He opted surgery right away and we were lucky.

But when my kids got sick this week I thought I would give it a go. :idunno

This is what I take

http://www.seagateproducts.com/olive-leaf-extract.html

Here is another write up on it.

http://healthychristianliving.com/olive_leaf_extract.htm